The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ooohh I cant make a decision!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sides and back - Gibson Gold Top or Black ?
Black
68%
 68%  [ 17 ]
Gibson Gold Top
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 25

Jai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think black...that would NO DOUBT look awesome...you might be taking a risk goin with the gold...
Little Bit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love gold with green.

But based on Lars's color sample I dig the last one the most.
Green matched with the rich brown/gold wood.
maxnew40

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the green looks good next to the dark brown color in those color examples.

Max
frpax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I voted for black. But based on those color samples, I'd actually opt for the second-to-last one...with the dark brown.

~Ace Frehley
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great responses, thanks guys.

It's funny that some of you guys were considering a brown dye. My first idea was a brown dye which I had purposely bought to do that but after mixing it up and testing on another maple board from the same lot, I really did not like the way it colored the wood. There is not a real pronounced grain and therefore leaves alot of field and not much grain contrast so the stain kind of just sits. I will post a pic tonight of the back so you have a better idea of it. Thats why I started to consider paint options. I wish the brown dye would look good because this post wouldn't have even started. The majority says that black is the way to go here. I am going to try and darken the brown up a bit more and try another test piece that I'll do on another body from the same wood lot that I cut from. I'll post those pics too.
Thanks for all the input guys and the color chart too Lars. Tele, thanks for the idea of dying the back green and doing the black transfer up to the binding. Thats a very interesting idea but I don't think it will work with this grain. We'll see later.

.....to be continued
Lars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thought: It seems like I read where you weren't a big fan of black dye, sand back, then color, but maybe that would work for this.

Black dye to accentuate whatever grain there is, sand back, brown stain, then if the brown isn't dark enough, use brown toner coats to bring to desired darkness.

Maybe?
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say, I like the medium-to-dark brown samples, but that doesn't look like a maple back in the samples - Joe, am I to understand that the whole body is maple?
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top is quilted maple. The back and sides are 1 piece of hard rock maple. I am going to post some pics in the next few minutes if my daughter will let me.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here's the side view, top view and back before any cavity was routed. I have since then routed and added control holes and the cavity.

Here's a couple of the killer birdseye neck after Linseed oil soaking, 1 clear coat and 1 tinted clear coat. Theres a mountain of eyes on this baby.
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/joeglow/Killer%20birdseye1.jpg
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/joeglow/Killerbirdseye2.jpg
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump.
Houndog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good Joe! You've got some nice necks, and the body looks sweet. I'm going to stay out of the color poll, because it's such a personal thing. I'd say look at it long enough and it will reveal what color it wants to be. Cool
Craig_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I like the last of the browns on Lars' color-match, but I wondered if you'd thought about shoreline gold. The contrast would still be kind of faint, but it might look cool. Or, if you wanted to keep a metallic, I think it would actually be pretty cool to have the dye top, natural binding, and a CAR back (maybe that's getting silly...)
Guitars_Fear_Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, not to muddy the water any more than it already is, but I was thinking that the metallic back that would look great with a deep green AND possibly be dark enough for the natural binding to show...might be copper.

Needed one MORE option to consider, didn't ya Joe? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitars_Fear_Me wrote:
Craig, not to muddy the water any more than it already is, but I was thinking that the metallic back that would look great with a deep green AND possibly be dark enough for the natural binding to show...might be copper.

Needed one MORE option to consider, didn't ya Joe? Rolling Eyes

That's cool - it was more of a copper I had in mind anyway, I just couldn't think of what it was called (you know what happens to your memory when you push 30 Wink )
Guitars_Fear_Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's cool - it was more of a copper I had in mind anyway, I just couldn't think of what it was called (you know what happens to your memory when you push 30 )

Dude, I hate to tell you this, but it only gets worse! Laughing

Anyway, hope Lon doesn't mind me borrowing a piece of his graphic and throwing in a sample of Reranch Copper -- this is what I had in mind:

If I had to choose between gold and black, though, I think I'd go with black. Hard to go wrong there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: