The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ooohh I cant make a decision!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sides and back - Gibson Gold Top or Black ?
Black
68%
 68%  [ 17 ]
Gibson Gold Top
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 25

Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Ooohh I cant make a decision! Reply with quote

I am stuck on the finish to do the sides and back of my Tele style project. Here's the lowdown. The quilt top is still getting dyed green and I already created the natural binding edge. I have all gold hardware and an a$$ kicking birdeye maple neck. My dilemma is that I was originally planning to do black on the sides and back but I opened my extensive line of Reranch paints and saw the Gibson Gold Top can and had a thought. Now I am unsure if it will even look good but I cant decide. Confused Help.
chguat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as one for the gold top. With the gold hardware and green top, it would just be awesome. Plus I'm just intruiged to see what gold top would look like as a color for the sides and back rather than just the top.
lchyi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldtop would be freakin' sick. I love that color it is one of my all time favorites.

I think there is nothing that goes better with green than gold. Have you seen gold quilt-top guitars that have chrome/nickel hardware instead of gold? It's just not as impressive.

Although a black back/side wouldn't be bad either but I would require you to have gold hardware!

Think about it: gold/cash, gold/leprachauns(sp?), sunshine/grass! They're meant to be. Cool
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your natural binding will go unnoticed with the gold and I think black is the way to go! Cool

Ralph
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
RyanF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow i cant see green looking good with gibson gold. Black looks great with all solid colors.
Craig_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Ralph. I think you'll lose contrast with the natural binding if you do goldtop on the sides/back...though that LP recently DID look amazing.
Lon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig_ wrote:
I'm with Ralph. I think you'll lose contrast with the natural binding if you do goldtop on the sides/back...though that LP recently DID look amazing.

Ditto!!!!!!
Lars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern with the Gibson gold top is that it is such a uniform color and I'd worry that it would look odd with the grain and texture of the green dye. And I do think the binding would get lost as the others have said. But then again, I'm not crazy about black, either...

What about a natural dark tan that would contrast with the binding, but blend in well with the green dye?
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

My first thought was that gold would be cool, but it's hard to picture. Then I thought, well if the "natural" binding maple were first dyed yellow, it would complement the green top and would be less likely to just blend in with the gold. But again, I had a hard time picturing it.

I've seen green-dyed maple tops a lot in the Warmoth showcase and they're always black on the sides and back. And I've always felt that the black is kind of "cold" and "hard", in contrast to the warm, natural green Both are great by themselves and in other applications, but I've never liked them together.

I can't predict what the gold sides and back would look like with the green top, but my instincts went for that idea like a cop for donuts (sorry, Vegas - just kidding) -you might consider testing the two on a scrap of wood - it occured to me that a darker green like British Racing Green would look pretty classy with gold.

If you end up leaning toward black, consider this alternative - I stumbled across this strat body at the showcase and like this much better than a solid black back:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=ps1349&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=2&subMenuItem2=0

Instead of bursting the top, of course, you'd just do black up to the binding. On the back you'd dye it green (is it Ash or Alder? Decent grain?) with a black burst feeding to the black sides.

Last edited by Tele Savalas on Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
rockles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, gotta go with the black. I think the gold would be a little over the top, if ya know what I mean.
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know, if the color were light like yellow or something, I'd opt for gold, but for dark colors I think the only color that looks good would be black.
mattburnside

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black.

Goldtop is NOT the new black, despite what the fashion mags say.
stratman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black.

The Goldtop would look better on top of a guitar like it was bred for. Laughing
MapleTree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think black, because it sets off green and gold both well, and it was the colour you originally wanted to go with. Don't get distracted! Very Happy
Lars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeglow,

Here are some quick samples to maybe help:

or:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/lrkinpratt/Greenoptionsbinding.jpg

Last edited by Lars on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: