The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving pole pieces on Strat Single Coil Pickups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toleolu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Moving pole pieces on Strat Single Coil Pickups Reply with quote

Came across this video on You Tube, wanted to see what you guys think about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=564laZGCbGA

Mahalo;
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some young moron is going to try this with a fiber-bobbin pickup and totally screw the pooch.

IMO, it's not worth the time or trouble, and there won't be much difference if any in sound. The "warble" is from the entire magnetic field, not just one pole piece. It can be fixed by adjusting the height of the whole pickup.

YMMV. Cool
Toleolu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thought on seeing this was if the height of the pole pieces were an issue based on the difference in the neck radius on modern strats (as the person posting the video claims) wouldn't the people at Fender be aware of that and change the pole piece heights accordingly?
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tempted, while working on a strat with a Fat 50's neck pickup and a Warmoth neck - spent way too much time trying to get it dialed in. Not getting wolf tones, but on that particular guitar the high E just wasn't ringing.
sonicblue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toleolu wrote:
My initial thought on seeing this was if the height of the pole pieces were an issue based on the difference in the neck radius on modern strats (as the person posting the video claims) wouldn't the people at Fender be aware of that and change the pole piece heights accordingly?

Fender uses flat poles on American Standards, and has done so for decades on most premium models featuring "modern" upgrades, while vintage reissues and the like still come with staggered poles.

I wouldn't recommend attempting to move fixed pole pieces, as there's a very high probability of destroying the pickup.
Toleolu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texas Specials I just put on my PartsCaster have staggered pole pieces, but the Hot Noiseless pickups on my MIM Strat are flat.

Not sure but I think the Custom Shop Vintage 50's and 60's are still staggered as well.

But I agree with both of you, trying to move these pole pieces is not a good idea.
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic bobbins on some pickups are one piece. That's what the guy in the video was working on. The poles don't contact the coil. If it has ceramic magnets they're likely epoxied on, and the poles won't move anyway.

Traditional single coil pickup construction is with separate top and bottom fiber flatwork, and the coil wire is wrapped around the poles. Trying to move a pole in one of these can and probably will destroy the coil.

Not very responsible of the guy to recommend this.
Heavy Air

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark is right. This'll work on plastic bobbins, you can tell by them usually having 3 small holes in the bottom of the bobbin if it's plastic.

Doing it on a fiber bobbin is totally going to kill the pickup.

You can also push the polepieces completely out on plastic ones and replace them with a different type of Alnico which is going to give you a much bigger change in sound than pushing a staggered polepiece in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: