The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tru Oil over shellac - orange peel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Tru Oil over shellac - orange peel? Reply with quote

Here is where I am so far -

- Sand to 600
- apply water based burst after staining and sanding back twice
- About 5 coats of de-waxed shellac
- (On the back, which is walnut, I'm getting ready to lightly sand back the second application of Aqua Coat grain filler but the hard peel isn't showing up there)

- Was going to go with Nitro clear, but now thinking about Tru Oil and going for a glossy application - which I'm getting better at.

But see the orange peel? It's pretty light. I wouldn't hesitate to spray nitro over it - but wondering about Tru Oil...

And worried about sanding through and screwing up the sunburst...

Not sure how to proceed.

Thanks.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/P5TxhCj.jpg?1[/img]
Lon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why donít you spray the Truoil over the shellac? I used it for a top coat, mixed 75/25 with naptha, with about an hour between coats. That should act like a lacquer top coat and fill the orange peel. I used 6 coats, cured about a week, then wet sanded and polished
#313. Praisegig
tnt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lon wrote:
Why donít you spray the Truoil over the shellac? I used it for a top coat, mixed 75/25 with naptha, with about an hour between coats. That should act like a lacquer top coat and fill the orange peel. I used 6 coats, cured about a week, then wet sanded and polished

Only because I've never done it....hm...so I need a preval unit, right?

Might try that.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: