The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best practices for keeping out dust/particles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Best practices for keeping out dust/particles Reply with quote

If such a thing exists. I'm having a heck of a time keeping stuff out during the clear coat; not so much of a problem with ReRanch cans for the color. I wonder if it's because I use an HVLP sprayer for the clear and it kicks up stuff. Not sure how as I've sectioned off a part of my shed as a spray booth using plastic drop cloth that covers walls, floor and ceiling.

Should I be doing anything different? Do people wear bunny suits when they spray? Maybe immediately move the guitar out of the spray section and into the curing area? I know some folks here spray outside, seems like that would be more problematic, but willing to try it.

Also, if I just want to "screw it" and start completely over, what's the best way to strip using lacquer thinner without getting too aggressive (i.e., not remove white base coat or sand sealer)? Thin it? Use cloth vs paper towel?

Thanks!
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be creating static electricity while shooting with them HVLP gun and the plastic. It will draw dust particles in the air into your spray pattern. I shoot in my down draft spray booth and outside without problems. Just scuff sand to get contaminants out, then shoot more clear
#313. Praisegig
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys would have a heart attack if you saw where I paint. Laughing

No, I don't do anything special, and never had a problem with dust and stuff.
Cobe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Pics or it didn't happen Marksound Very Happy

Lon - I didn't even think of that, my draped space *is* pretty tight.

Ok, it was really nice this morning so I went out and shot clear on the lawn, it turned out much better than anticipated. I still got about 3 dust particles that I could see (I do not know how you guys get nothing...). I've read a couple different ways on how to handle this, do I wait 24 hours, then scuff sand out or is a 3 hour wait enough? If I wait 24 that really messes with my '3 of 3' routine. Sometimes the dust is so deep I get down to the color coat, which then gets me uneven color blotches (see my other thread). Ugh...what a pain.

Thanks everyone!
Heavy Air

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spraying a light dusting of water in the air and waiting a minute for it to settle on the floor seems to help weigh some dust down/stop it getting kicked up
Cobe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: