The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Occurence With Nitro
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victory Pete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
Victory Pete wrote:
Yes, this is only about a week old, some scratches, although they only show up in pictures. I don't like to wet sand, so some tiny scratches are inevitable. They will come out when I give it the final buffing in a week or so. I am going to be patient, as once the tuners are on I cant buff easily. I don't think the triangle will reappear as an indentation, it is showing a little bit now because the triangle is buffing out differently than the rest of the surface. The triangle is a day older than the rest. It is funny how just a day can make the lacquer buff differently. At some point the day difference will become neglible.

Forgive me for being frank, but those are not tiny scratches. I wouldn't deliver a job with sanding scratches like that.

It's your guitar, so I defer to your judgment. Smile

Yes they are tiny, in my well lit workshop photographed close up they look quite a bit larger. As I have already said, those tiny scratches will come out upon buffing.
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victory Pete wrote:
marksound wrote:
Victory Pete wrote:
Yes, this is only about a week old, some scratches, although they only show up in pictures. I don't like to wet sand, so some tiny scratches are inevitable. They will come out when I give it the final buffing in a week or so. I am going to be patient, as once the tuners are on I cant buff easily. I don't think the triangle will reappear as an indentation, it is showing a little bit now because the triangle is buffing out differently than the rest of the surface. The triangle is a day older than the rest. It is funny how just a day can make the lacquer buff differently. At some point the day difference will become neglible.

Forgive me for being frank, but those are not tiny scratches. I wouldn't deliver a job with sanding scratches like that.

It's your guitar, so I defer to your judgment. Smile

Yes they are tiny, in my well lit workshop photographed close up they look quite a bit larger. As I have already said, those tiny scratches will come out upon buffing.

Cheers Smile
Victory Pete

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: This may be it. Reply with quote

I have done some more buffing. It looks fantastic in person. Some miniscule scratches can be seen in the photos under the bright lights, but for the most part I think it is done. I can hit it again before I put the tuners on next week. I don't dare put them on now, finish is still soft.

Victory Pete

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what is with these Photo Posting sites, they don't always work, it is really quite frustrating. I am done with PhotoBucket, now this Ingur thing is pissing me off.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/yDHuYMz.jpg?2[/img]
Victory Pete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost inage of trapezoid appeared again. I buffed again and brought it back to a shine. I will wait some more before putting the tuners on.
Victory Pete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally done, after 1 month of curing the ghost image is gone and I got a fantastic gloss finish. I stopped buffing at medium, no need to go any further. Any fine scratches that are visible in these photos are absolutely invisible to the naked eye, even under my well lit workshop. Time to put on the tuners and some strings.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Yi4iN67.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by Victory Pete on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Victory Pete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Yi4iN67.jpg?1[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: