The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I fear Metallic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cross

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Should I fear Metallic? Reply with quote

Alright all you guitar finishing guru's, I've been scouring the forum in search of colors to finish a guitar I am building, and was mostly looking at either RR Orange or the Cadillac green color. Good stuff, and I found a number of great example pictures. However green and orange are exactly that... green and orange.
I want something interesting, something uncommon, something like... crown royal purple... WHOA.
The color is fantastic, and so are many of the other "Metallic" colors provided at ReRanch, but the one thing about guitars finishes that I absolutely can't stand is this sort of thing:

I guess "Glittery" defines it.
Sorry to all you out there that love this finish, I do not. Glitter is not my thing. My question is: Do ReRanch "Metallic" colors AT ALL appear like this? I keep seeing references to "Flakes" and all the trouble people have getting them to "stand up" or what not to get the finishes right. I would love a crown royal purple finish, or an ocean turquoise or a CAR, but I am a little afraid of the "metallic" finishes now. Are they anywhere near "Metallic Flake" finish? Can anyone confirm or deny my fears?
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a few CAR finishes, and I found that you can control how much the metallic shows through the tint. Numerous coats get darker and mute the base metallic flakes below. RR metallic are not like a boat metallic finishes. Gold metallic base is more muted than a silver base, when doing a CAR finish. I haven't done any of the other RR metallic colors, so can't comment on them.

Doing a sample board would probably answer your question. There are so many variations ie; size of flakes, base coat color, top coat color tint. If you like the color tint, then use without any metallic base coat.
#313. Praisegig
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at car finishes. Metallics are not the "glittery" thing you're talking about.

People get confused about metallic and flake. Metallics are tiny. Flakes are bigger.

This is metallic:

This is flake:

C5000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metallics do have tiny particles of "metal" in them, like that purple guitar you posted. Depends based on the paint. Some cars today are getting pretty sparkly.

Do a search on the RR color you like, and you will get a good idea of how particle dense that color is.

Solid purple would go in the Barney direction pretty quick...
Cross

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay cool, this is all good news, I really dig the candy colors when translucent is shot over the top of Inca. At this point it will be a challenge, but I think I'm going to go for a Candy Orange... probably going to have to buy a bunch of aerosols and mess up a couple times haha.

And yeah, not gonna purple, I see the barney aspect.
BeauZeau

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, we're a happy family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: