The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Options for poly finish on a fabric top

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norwoodz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Options for poly finish on a fabric top Reply with quote

I'm working on a few test pieces with some cotton fabric. I don't have a place to spray, so I'm limited to brushed on finishes for now. So far I've glued down two different pieces with Titebond, laid down a couple light coats of white glue on top of the fabric, and am comparing clear coats. One I'm building up with polyurethane and the other with polycrylic.

From what I read around here, some folks like the polycrylic for the way it builds, but don't tend to use it as a top coat. So far, what I like about the polycrylic is that it builds and fills in the fabric quickly, it dries quickly so it doesn't gather as much dust as polyurethane, and it seems to be less prone to small sanding scratches showing through.

As far as durability of a top coat, am I correct in thinking standard polyurethane will hold up better? I'm wondering if I could use the polycrylic to build up a flat surface and then top coat with polyurethane. Would I need to let the polycrylic cure for a long time so I didn't trap any moisture under the top coat?
gkyhn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polycrylic is pretty tough stuff. I've done a fabric and a paper (Jack D labels) finish. Both of them were cleared with straight polycrylic. Both seem plenty tough.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get a lot of build to bury that fabric with the gloss version of Mod-Podge, which is available in any craft store -- and is very cheap. It creates a very clear and durable coating. I used it on a fabric covered guitar a couple years ago with good results.
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Mod-Podge also. It worked fine. I have also read that somebody uses fiberglas resin.

Ladyfinisher
norwoodz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy recommended General Finishes water based topcoat. Looks like the same concept as the polycrylic with a little more cred in the woodworking community. Might have a go with that.

It's funny, the more you dig into reading about this stuff, for just about every finish-related product that exists, there's a number of people saying it sucks and is a total pain to work with, and then a number of people saying it worked fine for them and they really like it. Go figure.
tvvoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest Modge podge is entirely too soft even when fully cured.
weldbond glue is good, water it down about 80% glue, 20% water gives you more working time to futz with the fabric.

Soak/saturate your fabric in the glue, rather than spreading it on the guitar, laying it down on the glue. Worked very well for me. But mask the sides before you do. do not be in a hurry to trim out cavity holes until you have a lot of layers - makes for easier and cleaner trimming.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvvoodoo wrote:
I suggest Modge podge is entirely too soft even when fully cured.
weldbond glue is good, water it down about 80% glue, 20% water gives you more working time to futz with the fabric.

Soak/saturate your fabric in the glue, rather than spreading it on the guitar, laying it down on the glue. Worked very well for me. But mask the sides before you do. do not be in a hurry to trim out cavity holes until you have a lot of layers - makes for easier and cleaner trimming.

The trick with ModPodge is putting it on in thin coats -- only then will it get good and hard.
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another board that somebody used fiber glass resin for fabric. I can see where that might work really well if the colors don't bleed with it.

Ladyfinisher
86runner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Mod Podge, and I had the opposite experience of it not getting hard enough. That stuff got so hard I could barely sand it!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: