The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey kids
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kregg wrote:

What the hell was the other guy thinking?

About a week after the wreck he said we were slowing down too fast and he couldn't avoid me. Group rides can be dangerous. He just wasn't paying attention.
jaybones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, man!

And its always the other guy's fault.

Lucky it was another motorcycle rider that hit you, if it'd been a car or worse a truck/SUV you could have gotten hurt worse.

No such thing as a minor motorcycle accident, and its a WHEN not an IF.

I stopped ridding when I was in college. Had just bought a 1970 Honda CB 360 (minor classic) from the original owner.

Bad tires and battery, had been sitting 12 years. But I got it for a decent price and was going to slowly fix things as I went to school.

Was riding to the tittle bureau with DMV license right next door on the other side of town. Turned right at a red light, and was just shifting out of 2nd when a townie in a late 60's Cadillac sedan was rolling the stop sign on an alley.

Saw me coming, and tried to stop and back up. Had just rained and the brick street was wet. Knew I wasn't going to stop and was trying to lay it down.

Hit him right on the left front wheel, went over the handle bars (Superman), hit the street and rolled. Of course when my head hit I was knocked out.

Needed 48 stitched to put my left knee back together (almost severed the patellar tendon, so that got 3 carbon stitches, then another 12 in a vertical mattress to pull the wound shut from the bottom. The rest were to close the surface and the other small cuts from the edges of the bricks).

Was wearing the helmet the guy bought back in 1970. Split down the middle when my forehead hit the ground.

Still have knee problems and neck problems most likely from that accident.

$8000 in medical bills, including knee surgery 4 months later (after the scar tissue healed, they found road debris inside my knee joint!). Insurance offered my $10,000 10 months after the accident (been getting collection calls for 6 months on the surgery bills), and I stupidly took it.

My cousin, my insurance man at the time said he would have paid my medical bills, and offered $40,000 pain and suffering. Would have started there.

At the time I thought I'd be alright, but 20 years later I still feel the aches and pains that came from it.

Oh, and the complete but needed TLC motorcycle was totaled. Headlight bucket and gauges were smashed, front fender destroyed, spoke wheel was bent, so the bike could have been saved. But at that point it was a parts bike for someone else's restoration.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Randy, glad to hear you are able to still walk away from it. So many bike accidents don't end up with just broken bones. I've seen many bike accident related deaths it's not even funny. Hope you heal well and happy to hear you've decided that you dodged a bullet and are getting off the streets. I love riding but I gave up my bike when I became a dad and honestly, I miss it but then I hear or see these types of accidents and stories and I'm cured of the want to get back on a bike. Best to you and look forward to seeing you around here more.
Instagator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe...That's just what I did..When my wife told me she was going to have a baby I sold my bike.I used that money to buy a whitewater canoe..No documented cases of a tractor trailer hitting a canoe...I'm still here but worry about the other city riders..
RandyM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I sold my bicycles 4 years ago I'm going to splurge on some carbon Cannondale goodness.

WildIowa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bright and bouncy topic, but it seems around here they are hitting bikes and riders left and right, mostly inattention but also several high speed one-vehicle crotch rocket deals. I had my bikes as a "yoot" but I just think it's a young man's game...young men who are already pretty nuts, have no fear, no families and no wife...there is just too much to lose and it always seems that other guy is at fault. At least two multiples here in the past few years including five riders at one time from a drunk kid in a two-way construction zone. So much insanity from a single kid.
RandyM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting the Cannondale Scalpel instead. Might as well have full suspension. Love the Lefty fork.

Travst

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this Randy. Get well soon.
C5000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are on the mend.

I'm a Bonneville guy (and Specialized/Niner). I ride that thing like I just took the training wheels off...peole suck at driving.

You get some clipless shoes/pedals??
RandyM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5000 wrote:

You get some clipless shoes/pedals??

Thankfully I kept all of my MTB gear, and SPD shoes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: