The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fullerplast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retnev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Fullerplast Reply with quote

Anyone kow of a fullerplast replacement that is exact to the original or if Ican still get fullerplast somewhere ?
I want to redo my trusty 63 strat I gigged with since the 70's which had about 7 oversprays and part fullerplast removed during first respray.

Thank You

P.S.
Please dont comment that fullerplast make a strat sound bad etc.
Most of the classics you heard with Strats and Teles were played on fullerplast body Strats & Teles.
sonicblue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.van-dee.com/page-2-catalog-page.html
The Ballzz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gemini-coatings.com/index.php?corporate/msds-pds-search&sku=fullerplast

HTH,
Gene
retnev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a freekin Million !!!!
Two years of on and off searching and I could never find that.
amazing !
Thanks.

The Ballzz wrote:
http://www.gemini-coatings.com/index.php?corporate/msds-pds-search&sku=fullerplast

HTH,
Gene
retnev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, thanks a million.
another great source!

sonicblue wrote:
http://www.van-dee.com/page-2-catalog-page.html
The Ballzz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,
I'm a maniacal search monster and you're quite welcome. Maybe it'll be helpful to others also!
Gene
retnev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told about 2 years ago on 2 other usergroups that I should not be silly. Fullerplast doesnt exist anymore.
Go Figure
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on!!

Hey, come back and post pictures as you get your refin underway. We love picture threads!
The Ballzz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Folks,
I only found it by name, but reading the description, I'm not sure it's actually the same stuff as in the old days! It says: "Fullerplast Varnish is a high performance, water clear, non-yellowing catalyzed varnish"

I thought the stuff Fender used was a sort of monkey puke, off white/yellow-ish color. I could certainly be wrong on either and/or both accounts!

Just Sayin'
Gene
sonicblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another misconception about Fullerplast is it's color. The sealers Fender used including Fullerplast was clear, not yellow. The yellow seen in the unpainted portions of a 1956 and later Alder body is actually a stain or dye applied under the sealer coat. This was used to simplify the sunbursting process.

http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html
The Ballzz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicblue wrote:
Another misconception about Fullerplast is it's color. The sealers Fender used including Fullerplast was clear, not yellow. The yellow seen in the unpainted portions of a 1956 and later Alder body is actually a stain or dye applied under the sealer coat. This was used to simplify the sunbursting process.

Thank You Sir!

That explains a lot. It's all coming back to me now, said the man as he piddled into the wind! Razz

Thanx Again,
Gene
retnev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you say is correct about the color of fullerplast but it would not be correct to say that ALL bodies were dumped in yellow dye.
Fender was very money conscious as any up-and-coming business, and if he knew that a body will not be sunburst there was no reason to send that batch to the dip. And that is for good reason. Flawed solid color bodies could not be repainted afterward as sunburst, but flawed sunburst always became a solid color, usually black.

I have two 63's I owned since the 70's One has yellow fullerplast, thus die dipped, the other one the fullerplast looks pretty bleak. Those guitars are 3 months apart !.
The 54 body I have has no stain whatsoever or grain filler and fender still seemed to be learning how to coat wood properly. Unfortunately some idiot refinished it with poly in the early 70's. One hell of a good job, but still. I guess I will have to refinish it at some stage, but the poly looks nice and cracked with age. Just not my color either.

sonicblue wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: