The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

poly refinishing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horaxe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: poly refinishing Reply with quote

So I picked up a bullet strat from 2000 for some fun and refinishing practice.
Got it for a song, but it is a top loader and the body is very slim...didn't expect that as I was comparing to the new bullets that are full size and have tremolo's.

Anyway, the neck has a few spots where there were some stickers applied. After removing the stickers, there's a few spots where the clear was ripped off the neck.

I'm thinking I can sand down teh neck with steel wool and then do a tru oil or something to make it look good again. I think adding clear to the stripped sections might be more difficult than stripping down. thoughts?

Also, as the body is poly, I was thinking instead of stripping down I could just scuff the original finish and then use that for sealer and paint over the fiesta red, followed by clear, etc.

Now I know the fiesta red will affect the total outcome of the overall color, but you can get some cool colors when laying down on top of another one. Would this lead to poor finishing, checking or shirnkage, or is this accepted?
69formula

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...you can (and should) just scuff the finish and paint over it. For the body in question and the plan you have in mind there is no reason to even think about stripping it. As for adverse effects from the fiesta red color...if you prime it I can't imagine it would have any effect on the final color.
As for your neck question...I doubt steel wool will have much effect on the poly finish.
horaxe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69formula wrote:
Yes...you can (and should) just scuff the finish and paint over it. For the body in question and the plan you have in mind there is no reason to even think about stripping it. As for adverse effects from the fiesta red color...if you prime it I can't imagine it would have any effect on the final color.
As for your neck question...I doubt steel wool will have much effect on the poly finish.

Ok, so after scuffing, I should prime and then paint? I had heard from several people you can just paint on top of the scuffed up old paint???
statorvane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only refinished once and found the primer to be a good thing, as the body I was refinishing had a few scratches. Just enough to require some spotting putty, so I shot a coat or two of primer. This gave me a good indication of where I missed a few dents/scratches. Also I loved the color of the primer (white) so much I switched the body color over to white (in my avatar).
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69formula wrote:

Actually, steel wool is very effective at cutting through poly without damaging the wood -- obviously depending on how thick the poly is. I used to build custom office desks and if I ever had a run while finishing, I would just rub it out with steel wool, because it would create a nice smooth transition to the surrounding area and then I would just respray.
69formula

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, so after scuffing, I should prime and then paint? I had heard from several people you can just paint on top of the scuffed up old paint???

No...you don't have to prime...and I likely wouldn't myself. I only mentioned it because you were concerned that the fiesta red would interfere with the final color. I doubt that it will, but it certainly won't if it's primed. Either way will work.

As for the steel wool on the neck....I stand corrected. I've never had much luck with steel wool but apparently I'm using the wrong stuff or going about it wrong.
horaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I've been refinishing this in pearl over fiesta red, and I am not sure if I took it too far or if I want to keep it the way it is.

Kind of pearl milky over red to make a nice pinkish hue...but wondering if I should sand back to red and start over for more subdued look....

It's been ready to sand for quite some time but I haven't done it as I'm kind of uncertain.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: