The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rubber band clamps and finger boards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Rubber band clamps and finger boards Reply with quote

going to use those long stew mac rubber bands to clamp a finger board on - and it seems to me I did this a while ago, but there is one thing I can't remember.....

How flush do I need to trim the finger board first? I usually glue the fingerboard on and then rout it flush. Will it be a problem with the bands if there is a 1/4" of wast on each side of the finger board?

Like I said, I think I did this a while ago, but it's been a while and I can't find any pics of it. I think in theory is should be fine - the band is contracting in toward the center, right? But any thoughts would be appreciated.

(Also, what's with the photo bucket message in my avi?)
ghobii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use the rubber band method, but every fretboard I've glued has already been the correct size. I think, I would play it safe and put a couple locater pins in. Just hammer in some small brads, and snip off the heads.
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghobii wrote:
I usually use the rubber band method, but every fretboard I've glued has already been the correct size. I think, I would play it safe and put a couple locater pins in. Just hammer in some small brads, and snip off the heads.

Yep - that's what I do even with clamps.

Maybe I should just be cutting these to size? I guess it always seemed daunting to get it exactly right, but I could clamp and rout it dry I guess....or double sided tape....but I worry about cracking the board - jointer's tape is so strong....

How do you make the board a perfect match for the neck?
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim close to the line. Glue on. Flush route with pattern bit.
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Desperado wrote:
Trim close to the line. Glue on. Flush route with pattern bit.

With rubber band clap, yes?

Thanks everyone.
ghobii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnt wrote:

How do you make the board a perfect match for the neck?

Everything I've done has been repairs, or in the case of my latest build, cut with a CNC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: