The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5e3 troubleshooting assistance needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulture

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Found it.

Determined to find out the problem after all this, went back in with chopstick method and prodded around again. I discovered that the wire off pin1 of the 12ax7 had weakened, not the solder, the wire. I guess the 6th time is a charm. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for helping me out. I guess the good thing was that I tweaked everything and ran some needed tests. Still have to address those areas where the voltages are off.
Cheers
vulture

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

statorvane wrote:

The dropping resistor there should measure around 22K Ohms.

So its an 8.2k in there now. The cathode resistor is at 330ohms. I replaced it with a 250ohm and it helped drop the voltages off the secondary's on the 6V6's to 364V as opposed to the 380V. I have to get a 22k dropping resistor in there.
statorvane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got this sorted out.

It seems whoever had this amplifier prior was interested in much higher preamp voltages. Not sure why.
Johnson82

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Nothing like having a problem sorted out!
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
vulture

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the 22k dropping resistor in there and helped some of the voltages, while I was at it I decided to have some modding fun.

The amp was already modded with MV which is great. Decided on switching things a bit. Thanks to Rob Robbinet I modded in a NFS, and added a cascade lead channel. I had swapped out the coupler caps (.022) in the past to dump some of the bass and man does this thing shake and shine now.

The other thing I did was add a switch to the V2 cathode cap(changed to a 1uf) to switch it out for ultra clean. The 1uf cap in conjunction with the cascade channel drives it into sweet Marshall Territory.

I decided that the ultra clean wasn't what i was after so I ended up throwing a .22uf fixed cathode cap back into the V2 as to throw a little more dirt in the clean. This alone with the cascade channel delivers some good 5e3 grit. Throw on the 1uf and it parallels the .22uf for some fantastic heavy gain territory.

And last was place a DPDT switch on the bright cap with a larger cap to dump a little more 5e3 bass into this when needed. Really takes well to pedals as well

Everything else is stock. It is a very very versatile amp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: