The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Junior and the Prince

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Junior and the Prince Reply with quote

I have long thought that my next project would either be a Lake Placid Blue Les Paul Jr or a Smoke Green Jazzmaster. My wife had heard me speak of starting to get the itch again to do a new build, and she surprised me with the Les Paul Jr body for Christmas.

Problem is, she didn't check into it enough and accidentally bought me a hybrid Les Paul Jr/Telecaster body. We talked about possibly returning it for a correct one, but after a little thought, a new idea started forming. She has long talked about me doing a purple guitar, and here was my chance to do something different, funky, and cool. I later told her that I was going to keep that hybrid body and do a "Purple Rain" guitar, painting it in ReRanch Crown Royal Purple, with gold hardware and some hot Tele pickups. She loved the idea, BUT...she had already gone online and bought a new LP Jr. body. Yikes. She said, "Do'em both"! What a slavedriver!

Well...this will be my first attempt at a set-in neck, and through research I found that it is really better to buy the neck that goes with a body...kinda hard to mix and match. So I talked to Nikita Guitars and they agreed to send me a neck that would fit with the hybrid body that they made. It should be here next week.

We ended up sending the LPJr body back and bought a body/neck combo from Precision Guitars that just arrived, and it looks really nice.

So...I'm back to add to the collection, and this will be my first set-in. Up first is "Junior", the Mahogany Les Paul Jr. body with Mahogany/Rosewood fretboard in Lake Placid Blue.

Exciting to be back at it!

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick reminder question: I am going to use Tru Oil for a mahogany neck and back of headstock...I do not need to grain fill/sand and seal do I?

It's been a long time... looking back, I believe I just whiskered the neck then started applying Tru Oil. Just making sure...

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this site gets slow in a lot of areas during the winter, but it seems I forgot that questions often go unanswered, even after over 200 people have looked.

Regardless, my two coinciding projects are slowly coming along...the other guitar will be under "PurpleRain".

"Junior" is the aptly named build of a Lake Placid Blue Les Paul Junior, and this will be my first attempt at gluing a "set-in" neck. I bought the body and neck from Precision and I must say that the build quality seems excellent. The fit of the neck is very tight, and the finish of the frets and body look great. In the pic below, I already have Timbermate on the body to wood fill.

I've used Tonerider and RHFactor pickups in several guitars and have really liked them, but I have had a little trouble getting them lately, so I went with a pickup company that I have had interest in for awhile; Rio Grande Pickups. I decided on their "BluesDawg" as I think it will handle the different genre's that I see myself playing with this guitar.

I bought a couple of cans of ReRanch Sand and Sealer; it is my first at using a spray s&s, and I think because the mahogany body is a fairly tight grain I may be fine with just these cans. This is the first day of spraying and I will do some sanding on it this week. I think I will use the rest of what I have on this guitar body only instead of trying to spread it between two guitars.

The neck is coming along very nicely with only Tru-Oil on the neck and fretboard. I will be painting the front of the headstock black.

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to start painting yesterday. I was a bit surprised to find that the grain was visible, but a buddy said that Gibson's back in "the day" often showed the grain, which made me feel a little better. Regardless, I sanded it down a little today, then re-primed with white primer instead of the gray that I had. The grain will still show through, but not nearly as pronounced, and the color is slightly lighter. Unfortunately, I ran out of paint. Ugggh, so had to spend $30 for one damn can of paint that I will probably use for 2-3 coats...and it doesn't really even need that. Oh well....

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
SodaPopinski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokehouse4444 wrote:
Quick reminder question: I am going to use Tru Oil for a mahogany neck and back of headstock...I do not need to grain fill/sand and seal do I?

It's been a long time... looking back, I believe I just whiskered the neck then started applying Tru Oil. Just making sure...

The blue looks very nice, with Tru Oil you can eschew grain filling however you will need many more coats to achieve a really smooth surface and fill the grain. I once needed 25 coats of Tru Oil on swamp ash because I didn't fill the grain haha. I've used Timbermate under tru oil and I just tried something tonight that worked really well: wet sanding with some of the oil after one good coat to fill the grain. I believe Tom Pettingill mentioned doing this. I'm currently wetsanding with Danish Oil although I heard people use Tru also. From sanding you form a slurry with the wood/oil and basically smear it into the grain, I sanded circular all over then with the grain the end to push it in better. I used 400 grit wet/dry paper and it's something I will do from now on to grainfill under an oil finish. The mahogany I just did looks and feels much more smooth now, and while this method may not fill the pores 100% I'm sure it will result in less coats of tru oil needed for a glossy finish.
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Soda. I asked the Tru Oil question ages ago and no one answered, so I just sanded it smooth and Tru Oiled the neck and headstock. Most of it looks great, but the back of the headstock has a "wavy" appearance. This does not bother me enough to do anything about it.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the TruOil wood filling. I saw it a little while back on a video on how to apply it to a gun stock. The guy mixes it with Mineral Spirits and rubs it on, then sands it while it is still wet, so that the sanded material gets pushed down into the wood as it's own filler...and the exact same color as well. I am about to use that technique when redoing a crappy painted Ruger Mini 14 stock. My wife and I are stripping it, then using the technique the guy recommended on the video.

As a side note on the guitar, my buddy saw the Lake Placid Blue on "Junior" in a pic, and fell in love with it. He wants me to paint his current LPJr that color. Seeing as I will probably have about 3/4's of a can left, I think that will work out. He is giving me a gold Bigsby for a future project, and some cool vintage LPJr Tuning keys that he has.

Very Happy

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As opposed to his sibling, the Purple Rain, Junior just sits quietly in an obscure corner waiting to be wet-sanded and buffed.

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I can get an immediate answer to this question. Do I need to immediately stop, lightly sand back, and then repaint, or will the rest of the cans of coat melt in and it will smooth out???

When I started sanding the LP Jr. down, it almost immediately sanded through. The reason is that the grain was showing through and I wasn't sure how much to sand...because the little dots/lines of grain would be shiny still, instead of matte like the rest. Regardless, the wife and I actually didn't like the grain showing that much, so I figured I would just redo it.

I sanded it down, wood-filled it, sand and sealed like crazy, then primed it. It has been sitting there waiting for me to paint it for a couple of months now. Today, I got everything set up, wait for the humidity to drop, then excitedly started to paint it. SPLATTER!!! Splatter everywhere. This is the 3rd straight can from ReRanch that has splattered. Two from my other project, the PurpleRain, and now this one. I am doing nothing different than I have been in the past...hell, even on this guitar earlier. In fact, I'm being even more diligent to do things exactly as you are supposed to. There is blue paint running down the front of the nozzle as well, that I have wiped off numerous times. Unbelievable. The spatter seemed to get better, but there were the dark splatter marks all over.

So should I stop, resand and hope for the best out of the can, or just go on and paint and hope that the nitro melts in and it smooths out?

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to fix that.

Get one of these ...

Can handle

... and spray with the body hanging.
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and sprayed the rest of the can in hopes that it would all blend in. The temperature in the garage was in the lower eighties with a humidity % in the upper 50's. I've been waiting for so long to actually paint this because of time constraints and weather conditions, I was almost giddy to go out and finally re-paint it. Then this happened.

I took care to shake after every couple of passes, doing everything EXACTLY as you are supposed to. It seemed that the paint was blending well and it was going to work out OK...then, literally the second to last of my final passes that I was going to make towards the bottom of the front of the guitar...SPLOODGE!...spit about 5-7 little spatters on the front. Ruined.

I had given a friend a 3/4 can of ReRanch Lake Placid Blue that he still has. Do you think there is a chance to use that and it can blend/melt in, or is the bottom line that I just need to lightly sand it down and respray?

People that help on this site have become few and far between, so I very much appreciate your help on these problematic matters! I will definitely be looking into the can sprayer that you suggested. I had never had a problem with a ReRanch paint before, but this is the 3rd consecutive can that has been bad. I'm still hoping to use the RR LPB, but if I have to sand and paint over, I may think about using an auto custom paint this time, but I'm a little worried about the lacquer based paint/primer that the poly would be going over.

As usual, thanks for the advice and your time spent helping!

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I had a debacle with some bad screws on my Jazzmaster build. I was so angry it took me two days to get back any semblance of joviality in my general attitude. This is the 3rd straight can of ReRanch that has sputtered and ruined my piece. Like the Purple Rain, I don't think I am going to try the ReRanch again on this guitar. After talking with my wife, I think I am going to go with Alsa Custom Auto paint again. The Candy Lime Green strat that was my first build on here is still one of the most asked about guitars that I have. The depth of that Candy just makes it otherworldly when seen live, so I think I am going to go with the Candy Cobalt Blue. The color is similar to LPB, but the depth will give it another dimension. Lemonade out of lemons!

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one, like the CopperTop LP project, is on indefinite hold until the Texas heat/humidity subsides. Even if the humidity is low, I can't get the garage cool enough with the little air conditioner to have decent conditions for painting.

FedEx...you have to love delivery companies. As I said in an earlier post, the Lake Placid Blue spattered all over, and I decided to go with some cool Alsa custom car paint. I ordered the Candy color kit, sanded the guitar down AGAIN, and waited for the paint. The street in the front of my property is about 120 yards from the house. Drivers come up the driveway and leave packages on my front porch. My wife found the paint box on a Sunday laying out under a tree...and it was apparently delivered on Thursday...under near 100 degree weather. It looked like the driver had pitched the box from his truck under the tree.

Then FedEx people said if there was a problem, we had to get Alsa to make a complaint. Unbelievable. I called Alsa worried about the state of the paint, but they assured me that if the box wasn't open, it would be fine. Sheeeesh...lazy asses.

Oh well, I've sanded and primed the body...just waiting for the weather to paint it in.

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: