The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replicating this Sunburst
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful guitar, by the way...nice work!
69formula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what are your best guess for the two outer colors on the two Benedetto photos using above dyes?

I'm seeing Tobacco Brown and Red. Unless my screen is crazy, I don't see any black. Those two together can get VERY dark if you want them to. Also, IMO...the amber top coat is a good idea. I always leave the center a little lighter than I want it to end up just so I can melt in a tinted top coat. As was mentioned earlier...it softens the transition of the colors.
And...as was also mentioned earlier, but is worth mentioning again...avoid the temptation to hurry. Every time I was impatient I ended up with something much darker and with color bands much wider and distinct than I wanted. Let each coat dry a bit and then mist on the next one. Stop when you think it's close to where you want it and walk away. Look at it again the next day and decide from there.
Supersport

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69formula wrote:
Quote:
So what are your best guess for the two outer colors on the two Benedetto photos using above dyes?

I'm seeing Tobacco Brown and Red. Unless my screen is crazy, I don't see any black. Those two together can get VERY dark if you want them to. Also, IMO...the amber top coat is a good idea. I always leave the center a little lighter than I want it to end up just so I can melt in a tinted top coat. As was mentioned earlier...it softens the transition of the colors.
And...as was also mentioned earlier, but is worth mentioning again...avoid the temptation to hurry. Every time I was impatient I ended up with something much darker and with color bands much wider and distinct than I wanted. Let each coat dry a bit and then mist on the next one. Stop when you think it's close to where you want it and walk away. Look at it again the next day and decide from there.

Thank you 69formula,

The only red I think they sell is cherry red which is very red. red mahogany?

Also, I bought the guitar finishing book and although a lot of info there, it doesn't say anything about how to mix to get the "recommended mixture". In other words it shows the colors in varying %'s of concentration from recommended mixture but never says anywhere what is recommended mix....i.e.; 2 drops per oz for example.

My expectation is that you want to get desired intensity with as little finish thickness as possible and concentration is dependent on how much you put on. like 3 coats strong or 10 coats weak...you get the same color no?

Sorry for needing so much help here. I want to get it right once and for all.
69formula

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you mixing or using spray cans? When you said dye, I assumed you were mixing. IMO, cherry red is what you'd want. You mix it in proportion with the brown to get the color.
There are dozens of ways to do a sunburst and most all of them work just fine. If I were doing this one I'd spray it all the lightest color first, leaving it a little lighter than my desired result, then spray brown around the edge, from the outside in, can or gun pointing towards the center, leaving it short of my desired darkness. Then I'd spray red, also from the outside in, pointing the gun or can towards the outside, as far in as I wanted that color to go. Then I'd spray more brown around the edge to make it darker. Then I'd spray another coat of the light color over the whole thing. I'd do this over a period of several hours checking it in between and making any necessary "adjustments" as I went. I don't mean to make it sound like 4 passes around the guitar and you're done. I'd do multiple thin passes of each phase.
As for thick or thin...personal preference...I ALWAYS err in favor of thin. Much easier to correct.
As I said...this is just one of many ways of doing it. There are many pages of beautiful bursts to be found here and no two are probably done exactly the same way.
I'd highly recommend practicing on scrap...because that's a very nice looking guitar. I've probably done 20 or so bursts and still practice a little before each one.
Supersport

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I am mixing. I ordered some medium brown to give me some options because tobacco looks too black. looks like it has some burgundy in the brown area as well. Also ordered blue to maybe get a hint of magenta in the red zone. It is possible too that i am over thinking it.

BTW I will be watching your pallet guitar post.

Thank you all again for your help!
69formula

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll be fine with those colors. I can imagine where adding some blue might be a cool effect. As for the two browns, I used to keep both but found myself adding a lot of Medium Brown to get to where I could with just a few drops of Tobacco Brown so I just started keeping it alone. Either way will be fine.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just say, don't get any overspray on the Corvette!
Supersport

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les wrote:
I would just say, don't get any overspray on the Corvette!

Ha ha! I painted that car with lacquer 30 years ago and it still looks great!
The Ballzz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersport,
just going to offer an opinion here, while understanding that I realize that every person's "mind's eye" may see perfection differently. I think that the finish you stripped back could have been easily corrected by simply adding more of the darker color to the outside edge and blending it inwards to narrow,cover and soften some of the red band that was only a little too wide and a tad too light near it's outermost areas. Remember, the mark of a great craftsman is not necessarily the quality of his work, but how well and creatively he is able to turn "perceived" flaws into features!

As stated, this is simply my opinion. Best of luck to you on a wonderful project.

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less,
Gene
Supersport

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ballzz wrote:
Supersport,
just going to offer an opinion here, while understanding that I realize that every person's "mind's eye" may see perfection differently. I think that the finish you stripped back could have been easily corrected by simply adding more of the darker color to the outside edge and blending it inwards to narrow,cover and soften some of the red band that was only a little too wide and a tad too light near it's outermost areas. Remember, the mark of a great craftsman is not necessarily the quality of his work, but how well and creatively he is able to turn "perceived" flaws into features!

As stated, this is simply my opinion. Best of luck to you on a wonderful project.

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less,
Gene

Thank you Gene, i appreciate any feedback here. While maybe someone with more experience could have fixed the color what really bothered me was more that it was too dark and hid too much grain and that it went too far into the center.
kidmo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Replicating this Sunburst Reply with quote

Great project and fantastic archtop. You're way ahead of me so I can't help you there, but if you get a chance please show us that Vette, those are my favorite
Supersport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upload facebook pictures

C2 Corvettes have always been my favorite too! restored this one from what was kind of a 70's custom in the late 80's. Blasphemy.

Anyway, I think i got my colors good! Here's a few test sprays with and without amber topcoat....hard to appreciate in a photo but it really does enhance. I tried adding a touch of blue to the red (not in these photos) but the amber sort of turns it a little brown so maybe i should leave well enough alone.

Now it's just spraying without overdoing it like 69formula said.

Thank you all for your help again.
kidmo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are beautiful vettes. They would look great with that burst Shocked
Supersport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69formula wrote:
Are you mixing or using spray cans? When you said dye, I assumed you were mixing. IMO, cherry red is what you'd want. You mix it in proportion with the brown to get the color.

Wait, I'm a little confused. the test boards i posted look good to me. I didn't use any brown in the cherry red. I just didn't spray much red in the transition area. You suggest adding a little tobacco brown to the cherry red step?
Supersport

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Final CLear before cut & buff Reply with quote

Still not exactly what i wanted but i'm happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: