The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replicating this Sunburst
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supersport

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Replicating this Sunburst Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I built an arch-top and was so unhappy with what i did (the colors), i stripped it back and starting over. I have my own spray equipment and am working with beheln medium wheat for the base stain. The medium wheat does a good job replicating the yellow center. I have some stewmac concentrates (tobacco brown, cherry red, red mahogany, lemon yellow) and behlen light red mahogany (non concentrate). I want to replicate the reddish burgundy edges and orange red blend to center but the tobacco and red mahogany seem too brown and the cherry red too red. Anybody have any advice as to how to get to the photos posted here?

multi hosting

multi hosting

Thanks
tnt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Let's see some pics of the arch top!

2) The top pic looks like black edges, red mahogany transition and an amber center.

The bottom pic looks like cherry red, or maybe both red mahogany and cherry red....

3) I've been doing bursts with water based dyes. It's been fun, and the results have been good. Certainly a learning curve to it, but I find it more enjoyable, and more forgiving than trying to get the straying just right.....

You might look into that method....bunch of good videos on it out there in the ether...
Supersport

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

images shares

I can't take full credit...i took a class at American Archtop in PA.

There's no black in either of these Benedetto photos.

Looking for help with the dyes i have listed here.

Here's what I did and hated it. Too dark and too red...stripped it back to bare and put the base stain back on.

upload your pics

image upload api
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have this book in my shop somewhere.
http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Books/Guitar_Finishing_and_Repair_Books/Guitar_Finishing_Step-By-Step.html

It will the formula for that exact finish. It looks like the same finish on the cover of the book. If I find it today I'll post the pages for you.
tnt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking guitar....good luck with it.
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the issue with the first finish is you went way too wide on the burst. You have to only spray a few inches wide total. Your finish would have looked great otherwise.

I spray the center first, then the middle band, then the edge band. Amber coat over the entire burst to lock it in. Don't try to get the burst in one coat. Spray the burst and let it set an hour or two. Then spray more burst until color is right. Then do the same with the edge color.
ghobii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you take class? I have a friend who did it years ago and he still hasn't put a finish on it. Seems a waste, as it's a great looking/sounding guitar.
Supersport

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help Guys.. really appreciate it. I know I went in too far but it was too red as well. I learned from that LOL. I am going to but that book because having the color charts will be a big help so thank you for posting that!

I see some do burst from the outside edge and some from inside. I feel more comfortable going outside first, i guess because that's darkest.

I like the idea of an amber coat after last color. What does that do to all the colors generally? is that just a faint tinting or more moderate tint?
Supersport

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghobii wrote:
When did you take class? I have a friend who did it years ago and he still hasn't put a finish on it. Seems a waste, as it's a great looking/sounding guitar.

Last March. It was a great experience and yes, you go home with a great quality guitar. I would have preferred to put binding on it but he said he can't accommodate it except in the one on one class which is big bucks.
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top coat locks it all together. It melts a slight bit into each color and softens the burst line.

To each there own on how to spray the burst. But I've been most successful from center out because you build the darkness as you go. The edge is not black but dark brown with a little amber and a pinch of red in it. The red has some blue in it.

If I get my laptop updated I will post some pics of one of mine with a similar color.
Supersport

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Desperado wrote:
The red has some blue in it.

Now that makes sense! you mean the red fade to yellow center has a hint of magenta, right?
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Correct. The yellow center often has a touch of green and/or brown in it. My top coat amber usually has brown in it. I can keep spraying the whole guitar until I like the over all feel of the finish. The I shoot clear at the end.
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also spray from the center out. I am better at blending with the spray than with dye.

I will also mix a little of the middle color into the second color to begin the second color, then switch to the second color. Then repeat the process for the third color.

I stand back and fog the burst until I get to the outside edge.

Ladyfinisher
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have to be the oddball, spraying from the outside in. Laughing
Supersport

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but my original dilemma is what trans tints or colortone dyes to use for the three colors. I used Behlen medium wheat with some yellow added for the base so that's done. So what are your best guess for the two outer colors on the two Benedetto photos using above dyes?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: