The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on AC replacement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIowa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Advice on AC replacement? Reply with quote

I'm certain there are some HVAC people out there...quick question...returned from vacation and AC was totally out...looks like a problem in the A coil metering, the unit is 17 years old so at this point a replacement is better than trying to cobble an old unit together.

I'm in rural Iowa...a hometown, mom and pop guy services our stuff. He says he can install a Luxaire 2-1/2 ton replacement central air unit, about 15 yards of copper, and a new A coil for about $2,700. No furnace work etc., just central air.

Some say that seems a bit high, others say about right. Also this is the guy I call when things blow up so don't want to necessarily bypass him and go for a real cheapie and then when I need service down the road he is, well...busy, ya know?

So...is this in the ballpark? As I said, might be a bit high but if not much, may be best to buy locally to maintain relationships later....thanks.
IA
Kregg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing is everything ... Summer $$$
See if there are any incentives or rebates available from the manufacturer.
Not sure about the Luxair brand.
Carrier, Trane and Lenox are very popular here in Atlanta.
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to replace the condenser last fall. Our "buddy" charged us $3K, but we got a 10 year warranty. I hope he lives that long. Laughing

On the upside, we got a big unit that cools the crap out of our old house. I sleep in sweats. Wink
WildIowa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update...with the house at about 89 degrees, something had to be done...so I got an 18.5k BTU window air conditioner for $350 and threw it in. That buys me time. In the long run I will replace the central unit but the house is back to 74 degrees and we can survive. It's loud, a bit weird, but it works...whatever I did was going to take three to five days so I spent the $$ and got the place cooled down. I must admit I am looking at $3k versus $350....you get that way when you get older. I suppose the next step is to duck tape my old shoes together like my dad did....
gkyhn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a long time AC contractor and I've been in the business since the 70's. That being said, with AC, Iowa is kind of a different world than CA. That would be a really cheap price here.
Luxaire is a pretty basic brand. Kind of a builders model. That being said, the brand is about the least important part of the equation. Most of them are ok and of similar quality unless you're stepping up in price to a higher end brand like American Standard/Trane.
I'm an American Standard dealer and have been for years. I think it's the best thing out there. I've installed loads of Nordyne products (they're sold under several different brand names) and have had very few issues.
More important than the brand is the sizing and installation. YOU DON"T WANT AN OVERSIZED UNIT. LARGER IS NOT AN UPGRADE! (sorry for yelling).
The biggest issue I see over and over is too large of a unit and too small of a return duct.
To me it's a good sign that he wants to change the copper lines. There should also be filter/driers installed in the lines to protect the new compressor. I would also want a unit with a TXV metering device.
In the end it's kind of a tough thing to shop for. You're not buying a finished product. Your home is part of the system. You kind of have to find someone you trust and go with them. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: