The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Chris Cornell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frostyjoe

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: RIP Chris Cornell Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/05/18/entertainment/chris-cornell-dead/index.html
bildo

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blown away....
Pink Meanie

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly bummed. I had made up my mind that I was going to go see Soundgarden next Thursday. They were one of the bands in the soundtrack of my college years. I missed seeing them around '94 then being a grown up got in the way any other time they toured. Never got to see them live. We lost a true giant.
gkyhn

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in shock. One of my favorites.
omapunk

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw Soundgarden Friday. Flawless performance (other than losing the bass for a couple of songs).

2017 Chris Cornell sounded like 1992 Chris Cornell.

There are few bands that are more deserving of RRHOF enshrinement.
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had plans with them too. So sad, and surprising.
Guitarchitect

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Soundgarden on Sunday night. Chris's voice was absolutely amazing!

I will never forget the first time I heard Soundgarden: it was the video to "Loud Love" on MTV Headbanger's Ball. I was blown away. I have been a huge fan ever since.

Chris Cornell was the most amazing singer I have ever heard in my life. He was so versatile and had such a powerful, emotive voice. Not to mention that he was an incredibly gifted and talented song writers.

This is tragic and devastating. I am reminded of the day we lost Stevie Ray Vaughan. I was a freshman in high school, fresh off of seeing Stevie play on "Austin City Limits". This is just as an enormous loss.

Fortunately, I saw him perform live 3 times.

I am heartbroken.

"The most sophisticated people I know - inside they are all children." -Jim Henson
Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!
http://www.raveonguitars.com
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really looking forward to seeing them soon.
86runner

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm devastated over this. It's been a really weird day. I feel like I lost a good friend. Soundgarden is and has always been easily in my top 3 bands. Everyone leans a certain way with the Seattle bands, and Soundgarden was always my favorite of all of them, by a huge margin. Their creativity and odd time signatures were more challenging and less "mainstream" than the others, IMO. Add in Cornell's howl and it was just perfect. Kind of a Zeppelin situation going on. Cornell was so so talented. Euphoria Morning is one of the most beautiful, well written albums I've ever heard. Soundgarden songs are tied to so many memories in my life. I'm admittedly a complete fan-boy. My wife and I just saw Soundgarden 2 weeks ago in Tuscaloosa, and it was an incredible show. I'm in disbelief that he's gone and Soundgarden is done for good. As cheesy as it is, they're such a massive part of the soundtrack of my life. Such a huge loss. So sad. Prayers go out to his family and friends.

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Old Black

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three oldest boys and I had tickets when they came to Minnesota next month. One of the great, great singers. Black Hole Sun just gives me chills.
rickrob

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so sad to hear this. I'm a big Soundgarden fan and I took my kids to see them back in 2013 on the King Animal tour. RIP Chris.
jaybones

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was almost at that show but had to be back here for a weekend retreat I'm involved with. Wouldn't have worked, as Thursday nights I help get the place ready.

Completely bummed about this.

I'm wondering (hoping) it wasn't some stupid crap like scarfing (autoerotic asphyxiation) a la Michael Hutchence.

As far as I know he had kicked the needle (one time heroin was instant street cred when grunge was getting big), but never know.

I do know from his music he was a dark soul (depressed).

Lyrics from Audioslave, Like a Stone:

On a cobweb afternoon
In a room full of emptiness
By a freeway I confess
I was lost in the pages
Of a book full of death
Reading how I'll die alone

And just the day before was looking for pictures of Soundgarden for another forum and saw this.

You'd have to at least have entertained the idea of suicide to do something like that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: