The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problems with dye running using sand and seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranposs

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: problems with dye running using sand and seal Reply with quote

I am building a tele thinline, ash body and maple top. I grain filled the ash using an oil based grain fill. I then applied several coats of reranch dye using denatured alcohol. I let it dry a few days. When I sprayed they dyed areas on the ash, the dye just seemed to run off. I was careful not to spray too much and had done a test on another piece of ash without any issues. A few questions:

- how long does it take the dye to dry before you can apply either sand and seal or nitro?
- do you need the sand and seal? I tested a small area with nitro. It seemed to run a little but not as much. I have repaired the areas that were damaged and plan to skip the sand and seal and go to the nitro.
- What are the reasons that the dye would run? I did a light dye on the maple. Tested that with just nitro and it worked fine.

Thank you!
Lon

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: problems with dye running using sand and seal Reply with quote

ranposs wrote:
- how long does it take the dye to dry before you can apply either sand and seal or nitro?

Using alcohol, it evaporates pretty fast. I usually wait for an hour or so, before applying any finish over it but there is no rule

ranposs wrote:
- do you need the sand and seal? I tested a small area with nitro. It seemed to run a little but not as much. I have repaired the areas that were damaged and plan to skip the sand and seal and go to the nitro.

I would use a sanding sealer, to lock in the dye. I start with 2 misting coats of sanding sealer, then start heavier coats

ranposs wrote:
- What are the reasons that the dye would run? I did a light dye on the maple. Tested that with just nitro and it worked fine.

Dye is just finely ground particles and not in any binder. Any dried particles still left on the surface will try to run when a finish is applied over it, especially over open grained wood. After it dries I usually will do a naptha wipe to remove any loose particles before applying any finish material
#313. Praisegig
ranposs

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the wisdom. Will try these suggestions!
ranposs

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Alternative for Naptha Reply with quote

So I live in California and it appears Naptha is not sold in stores here. Is there a good alternative that can be used?
Lon

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use odorless mineral spirits will work as well but evaporates slower. I know Cali has it regulations. I use Crown, Jasco, CleanStrip or Sunnyside. Nothing out of plastic bottle.
#313. Praisegig
marksound

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they still sell lighter fluid for the Zippo in CA?

That's naphtha.
ranposs

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can buy lighter fluid for Zippo but I was reading that it isn't the same. Something about since Zippo took it over or bought it? Is that true?

How long does it take for the mineral spirits to dry?

One more. I am assuming I should sand and seal the maple top as well? I have a light coat of dye mixed with the denature alcohol.

Thanks!
Lon

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranposs wrote:
I think you can buy lighter fluid for Zippo but I was reading that it isn't the same. Something about since Zippo took it over or bought it? Is that true?

How long does it take for the mineral spirits to dry?

One more. I am assuming I should sand and seal the maple top as well? I have a light coat of dye mixed with the denature alcohol.

Thanks!

According to the Zippo Blend C MSDS, it still shows being mostly naptha.
Mineral spirits will evaporate in under a minute, but wait a minutes longer before top coating.
I would use a sanding sealer, clear nitro or shellac, anytime when I dye the wood directly. Like I said above, the dye solution does not have any binder to keep it locked in and not run. That should be a norm in any finishing schedule that uses dye for direct wood coloring
#313. Praisegig
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a paint store that sells automotive paint. They have cleaners for paint prep. I think the one I use is called Acryl-clean or something like that. Works the same way naphta does.

Ladyfinisher
ranposs

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help! Greatly appreciate it. I found someone who had some left over Klean Strip mineral spirits. Cleaned the body well and applied a mist coat of sand and seal and then two regular coats. Sanded with 600 to smooth it out. Now working on the last two coats before nitro finish. No runs. Working and looking great!
ranposs

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Removing scuff marks from sanding an edge to much Reply with quote

Another question. I was sanding the headstock after applying about 5 coats of nitro to my neck. When I was polishing the back of the head stock, I noticed a white outline on the edges of the head stock that were made apparently when I was sanding the nitro. What is the best way to get these out? I think the marks are in the nitro. The polish didn't remove them, just exentuated them. Thanks!
leftyjay

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you sanded thru to the wood. if thats the case, you'll have to respray that area and take it easy along the edges with the sanding. if you just cleared the neck, you just re apply.

one thing i found out the hard way,.. you can never have enough clear on the edges. most of the time i dont sand the edges till i'm up to 1500 grit
ranposs

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: