The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I wasn't aware that you can dry sand up to 800 grit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: I wasn't aware that you can dry sand up to 800 grit Reply with quote

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25496-diy-how-to-refinish-your-axe?page=2
zeek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been dry sanding up to 800 when needed i also read this premier guitar.com so i must be doing some thing right Very Happy
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll dry sand if the orange peel is really heavy, but usually only with 600 to flatten everything out. You got make sure things are cured out longer than usual or you'll clog your paper very fast. Sometimes that clog will pull or scratch too deep, and you may have to recoat to fix. Be careful with not much pressure
#313. Praisegig
Blackstar1099

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A guitar with a thin nitro finish will resonate better than one with a hard poly. But nitrocellulose is flammable and hazardous to inhale, so make sure you have a well-ventilated work area and use proper safety precautions, like wearing a respirator mask.

First you’ll need to solder together and tape off the north coil finish and south coil finish (this is the series link). Then, here’s a list of the items needed along with the StewMac parts numbers and amounts of the products we’ll use:

An important part of the finishing process according to them Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: