The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funny behaviour from an EVH WOLGANG pickup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Funny behaviour from an EVH WOLGANG pickup Reply with quote

I just bought a gorgeous EVH Striped Red,White and black guitar off ebay.The pickup is supposed to sound huge.It didn't .It was thin and lacked output.Thinking that I could sort out the problem ,I bought the guitar anyway.I mean 1 pickup and 1 volume pot,how hard could it possibly be,right? I looked for the obvious ,disconnected wire ,cold solder joint,nothing!
I changed the output jack for a new Switchcraft one.Same pissweak sound.The pickup's wiring was all neatly shrink wrapped.I cut it off and checked each wire with a multimeter to see if the wires were mixed.Nope.All were correct.I wired up a push-pull pot for series/parallel .In the down position it was the same thin,weak sound,when I pulled the knob up,I finally got a full loud humbucking sound.Now I've wired up dozens of guitars for series/parallel and the standard tone this pickup was producing was not as loud as a parallel humbucker or even a coil split.
Out came the soldering iron again and decided to go for a single standard CTS pot.I soldered the 2 wires as it was originally wired for a standard series link and double checked everything with the multi-meter.I got a reading of 15.89 K.All sorted.Right?
WRONG!
Same thin weak sound as before.I hadn't shrink wrapped the series linked wires yet,so out of boredom and frustration I started jiggling the wires and touched the series linked wires to the output lug of the pot and WOAH!The pickup suddenly worked correctly .I duly soldered the series linked wires to the output lug and the guitar works as it should.

Now can anyone explain why this pickup is acting like this?Essentially I've got 3 hot wires and 1 wire plus the shield as the ground.I'm baffled.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an EVH Wolfgang and the pickups are obnoxiously hot... way too hot... to the point that I'm getting rid of mine.

That being said, it sounds to me like you have a defective pickup. There is either a short or a broken wire in there somewhere causing that.
RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you did a thorough job troubleshooting the pickup and it might be an intermittent problem which sucks. Mad
eljay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...legend has it that part of how Eddie got his sound was the fact that the pickup in his original Frankenstein was actually broken. So maybe they were going for authenticity? Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eljay-Guitarworks/622637054471300
Carp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those that's all original if you need me to check anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: