The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSA: Nearly lost my eyes! Exploding can of ReRanch!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nortega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: PSA: Nearly lost my eyes! Exploding can of ReRanch! Reply with quote

Just figured I'd mention this as I got pretty lucky. Was working on around my 20th refinish, this time a vintage Gibson Melody Maker. Had a can of ReRanch Pelham Blue stored for the past couple of weeks, pulled it out, popped the top, and started to insert the red spray nozzle. I felt the slightest sense of over-pressure, it just felt different than every other can of ReRanch I've used over the years. It felt like there was just more pressure in this can for some reason, or the o ring on the can wasn't seated right...

Luckily I moved the can away from my body and line of sight, just in time for the spray tip to go flying and the entire contents of the can to begin shooting upward. I got my head out of the way just in time. I also had my glasses on, which was the lucky part. I'm sure nitro would have been bad to coat the eyes with. The lesson I've taken away is to respect the pressure these cans are under, and there is a % chance of a faulty seal... so be especially careful when you first insert the nozzle. Chaos might be close.

Now I've got to sand down this mess, and come to grips with the fact my workspace is FUBAR.
poolshark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's nuts. Glad you came out unscathed. I put those tips on in my house. Confused
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always point the can away from me when I put a tip on. Guess I'm not paranoid after all. Laughing
rickrob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like that new finish on the Melody maker... (ducks to avoid flying objects) Laughing

Seriously though -- I'm glad you weren't hurt, and I hope you get the guitar straightened out. I'll be putting the tips on outside going forward.
Graunke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you applied your coat to 'wet'.

j/k. Glad you are okay.
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrob wrote:
I kind of like that new finish on the Melody maker... (ducks to avoid flying objects) Laughing

Seriously though -- I'm glad you weren't hurt, and I hope you get the guitar straightened out. I'll be putting the tips on outside going forward.

First thing I thought changeh ht when I saw the pics. My second thought was what Mark said. I always point the can away when putting a tip on. You have to remember, you're sticking something into a can of compressed chemicals.
nortega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graunke wrote:
I think you applied your coat to 'wet'.

Ha ha, yeah it was kinda cool. Had a hammered steel sort of texture and look, but a huge drizzle down the center kinda ruined it. Plus the drips running off the edges made it a complete redo. If it were not a vintage piece, I would have kept it and made it an artsy project. It sanded down ok, but the black super clean headstock face had too much seepage from the mask so that has to be redone now. Sigh. At least I can see to do the work. Shocked
Craigmar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't call them spray bombs for nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: