The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esquire project (Now in Shell Pink)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurt72

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Esquire project (Now in Shell Pink) Reply with quote

I bought this body about 2-4 years ago, can't remember exactly. it WAS a 1 pc sugar pine. but it was thrown on the floor in a fit of rage by the mrs. Laughing can't say that I blame her, i was doing too many projects, in a small 2 bedroom apartment, and she saw another body and flipped out. not to waste a good piece of wood, (it broke, but a clean break), i saved it. had it glued, and it sat around for a few years. started working on it last month.

you can see the line of the crack, pretty close to the pickup cavity

on the back, there was a BIG gouge, pine is a soft wood. i filled it with wood putty. other areas required putty, and i filled and sanded those as well.

prior to the putty, i raised the grain/gouges as best i could with some H2O. it helped a lot.

nice lightly ambered tinted all parts neck, lacquered, and "curing".

primed....

rustoleum black lacquer, and 3 nitro clear coats applied, mock up with neck and pickguard. this is going to look pretty sweet.

now if this rain in SoCal would stop, get the humidity back in a good range, i can finish up the clear coats and play the waiting game. Wink

Last edited by kurt72 on Tue May 02, 2017 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
kurt72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that Murphy guy showed up.......I noticed yesterday a bubble along the side of the Esq buddy. I am about 6 coats in, no compatibility issues (acrylic lacquer black, with Nitro clear), things were going smoothly. then this bubble................

I sanded it, flattened it. thought the nitro clear would melt into it. applied the next coat, and the bubble came back. Shocked

I've only done about 13-14 "projects" with Nitro over the last 9 years, never encountered anything like this. has anyone here encountered this before?
rickrob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurt72 wrote:
so that Murphy guy showed up.......I noticed yesterday a bubble along the side of the Esq buddy. I am about 6 coats in, no compatibility issues (acrylic lacquer black, with Nitro clear), things were going smoothly. then this bubble................

I sanded it, flattened it. thought the nitro clear would melt into it. applied the next coat, and the bubble came back. Shocked

I've only done about 13-14 "projects" with Nitro over the last 9 years, never encountered anything like this. has anyone here encountered this before?

Yep, I had a project do that after it was completely cleared. A bubble the size of a nickel showed up days later. The paint and BINS primer lifted.

Don't know what caused it, but I assumed it was due to contamination in the wood that was brought out by the paint.

I had to strip it to bare wood and taking no more chances-- Seal the entire body with a thin skim coat west epoxy.

Ladyfinisher mentioned in the thread below that she had a similar problem, and solved it by using an oil based grain filler in the problem area.

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=53497&sid=438f387d624d8b14d1713db8036b1b0c
86runner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try wiping it down with naphtha before your next round of clear. I just did this exact thing on a headstock. Painting it LPB and all was well until I got a few coats into clear. Multiple tiny bubbles showed up, likely due to contamination. I lightly sanded the area, wiped thoroughly with naphtha, then continued my clear. After that, as I put clear on, the evidence of bubbles melted away. Worth a shot

Grab yo git-fiddle.

Last edited by 86runner on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
kurt72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i wet sanded it flat, cleaned with naptha. will try to drop fill and see what happens. did one drop fill, dried about 45 minutes, applied another, wait til tomorrow and see what happens. Confused hopefully, this works.

missionguitars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' awesome Kurt!

"Like" me on Facebook! - www.facebook.com/missionguitars
kurt72

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

missionguitars wrote:
Lookin' awesome Kurt!

thank man. sanded the bump, drop filled black paint to fill it in. looked good. shot 2 light coats of clear. still good. sprayed a regular coat last night just in the infected area. NOT good. blushing like CRAZY!! so much blush, it became transparent, could see right into the wood grain. let it dry, shot a quick coat, no beuno!

so......shut the garage, cranked up the heater i got for X-mas, put the body about 8 feet from the heater, shot on a coat, went back to all black, blushing disappeared. amazing, really. one more coat for good measure, still no blushing, let it dry in front of the heater for about 8-10 minutes, good to go.

once this rain lets up, and the humidity goes down, going to continue with the clear coats. hopefully no more blushing.
kurt72

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Murphy has been working overtime on this project. Wanted to put 2 waterslide details on the guitar body. The back is done, looks ok so far. But tonight the front decal decided to puff up. Have to redo that. Grrr.

Part of me just wants strip it and start over. There were some bubbling issues earlier. Fixed that. The back decal had to be done 2 times. Really considering starting over.

C5000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you clear the guitar before the waterslides? I've had luck with pinup and headstock decals sanding the clear flat before applying the decal, so the surface underneath is smooth, then clearing over that.

I also use a product called Solvaset, made by Walthers, from my model railroad days. It somehow thins out the decal and helps it to flatten out. You just carefully brush it on the decal once it's placed and then let it dry, and you can smooth out any bumps and bubbles with the little brush it comes with.

You may already know all this, but I say don't give up on your original vision quite yet. Plenty of my projects have resulted in starting over a few times, but I'm glad I kept at it.
kurt72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5000 wrote:
Did you clear the guitar before the waterslides? I've had luck with pinup and headstock decals sanding the clear flat before applying the decal, so the surface underneath is smooth, then clearing over that.

I also use a product called Solvaset, made by Walthers, from my model railroad days. It somehow thins out the decal and helps it to flatten out. You just carefully brush it on the decal once it's placed and then let it dry, and you can smooth out any bumps and bubbles with the little brush it comes with.

You may already know all this, but I say don't give up on your original vision quite yet. Plenty of my projects have resulted in starting over a few times, but I'm glad I kept at it.

I've done several decals over the years. never had this much trouble before. yes, at least 6-7 coats of clear all over the body. sanded smooth before applying the decal. every step, long dry time. ink dry on the decal overnight, 3 mist coats of lacquer applied/dried overnight, cut and applied with an overnight dry time, before I started lacquering and level sanding it.

this guitar is cursed! it's whole life, CURSED! Cursed since the day it was thrown to the floor and cracked in half! Laughing
kurt72

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more black. Now it's shell pink. Also redoing a Strat, used to be Shell pink. But I decided to go with sonic blue.

kurt72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't posted in a while. behold the finished products I've been working on.

only good pic of my sonic blue strat, one happy pastel colored guitar family. note "before" pic of my Esquire, now a Tele (see next pic)

and the pink tele with a 59' Seymour Duncan in the neck.....screamer this one, which I've affectionately named "Pepto". Drummer buddy of mine saw it, said it looks like the same color as Pepto Bismol. so there you go....

trentonleonard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking family. Did you use any tint on the sonic or is it just he lighting making it look more like daphne?
kurt72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trentonleonard wrote:
Great looking family. Did you use any tint on the sonic or is it just he lighting making it look more like daphne?

no tint to the Sonic blue. it's the lighting. if you look at the different pics of the pink Pepto thing, you can see that the "Family" pics are just a tad darker. with the exception of the bass, must be the angle of the overhead light or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: