The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tele done...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: New Tele done... Reply with quote

One piece mahogany body, Mahogany neck with rosewood.

SD '59 neck with coil tap. '54 bridge.

Water based sunburst under all tru oil finish.

This one came out very nice. really comfortable...

Gonna sell it if anyone is interested.

kidmo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Tele done... Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
One piece mahogany body, Mahogany neck with rosewood.

SD '59 neck with coil tap. '54 bridge.

Water based sunburst under all tru oil finish.

This one came out very nice. really comfortable...

Gonna sell it if anyone is interested.

That's an amazing finish, just the color I have been looking for. Would you please go over the process and materials you used? Did you ever sell it?
smokehouse4444

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice. Good job!!!

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet look. I like the grain appearance on that bidy.
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Tele done... Reply with quote

kidmo wrote:

That's an amazing finish, just the color I have been looking for. Would you please go over the process and materials you used? Did you ever sell it?

Oh hey - sorry - just saw this now many months later.....

(Also, I guess photo bucket killed my pics - will try to deal with that shortly.)

My process is basically:

Sunburst -

- Make up a dozen little swabs made by wrapping a cotton ball with a piece of cotton cloth and hold it together with a rubber band.
- Mix up your water based stains. On this I think I used red mahogany, amber and black.
- Wet the whole side you are doing (top or bottom) down with water
- start with the dark edges - go around the whole body. Make that band much thinner than the final width you are looking for.
- Get the mid-color going next - red mahogany in this case - blend with the black. After your swab gets black from mixing with the outer band, disagreed and grab another.
- Same thing with the amber....start in the center and blend outward.

There are a bunch of videos out there on this. It's really a nice way to do a burst - no spraying, no fumes, and very forgiving and fast. you can do a whole side in one 30 minute session. And if you don't like it, wait an hour and sand it off....

The tru-oil top finish is basically a dozen or more very thin coats with 1000 wet sand every third coat or so.

The guitar is still for sale BTW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: