The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something Tough-Festival outing and recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris jury

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Something Tough-Festival outing and recording Reply with quote

My 2 best friends and I came together this august to write and record an EP- We plan on doing this every break we get, next will be in Chicago this winter.

anyhow, here it is. Literally just the 3 of us in front of a couple mics, banging stuff out.

http://michiganindienetwork.bandcamp.com/

ps- I finally got to play my Kramer 'Duke' bass- aluminum neck, no headstock. super goofy.

PPS- It should be noted that the 2 friends are Ike Turner, who plays drums in the amazing Kalamazoo post-punk band Minutes and Lindsey Lambert, who was in the Seattle band The Histrionics-a group of teenage girls who recorded 2 amazing records and toured the US before they even graduated high school.

Last edited by chris jury on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
missionguitars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, loving the "4 of the floor let's knock this out" vibe!

And I've been meaning to ask, you aren't the same Chris that's on the Pelican Parts forums are you?

"Like" me on Facebook! - www.facebook.com/missionguitars
chris jury

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks- Yeah, it was a very 'immediate' process of writing a riff, practicing an arrangement maybe once, then doing a single take. Very liberating, compared to typical studio stuff.

No, not me on the Pelican board.
chris jury

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1yg3j4sAA
here is a short documentary my pal made of the recording process. mostly about the 3rd song on the record, which was a reunion of my band from my college days, Imipolex G. We were a barnstorming touring band- spent months on the road at a time...super gnarly times. Now we are old and soft and playing together was much harder. but we got a song written, recorded and mixed in about 2 hours.
chris jury

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting news-
This weekend (2/17 to 2/20) Something Tough will be getting together again. Lindsey and I will fly into Chicago- landing at 1 on friday.

Friday afternoon to saturday afternoon we will rehearse existing material and a cover, write at least 3 new songs, and do studio recordings of everything. Saturday evening we will drive up to Gladstone MI in time for Isaac (drummer) to play a set with his band OUT at the Thundersnow festival. Sunday afternoon we will play our first show as the mainstage opener for the festival's last day.

Sunday night we drive back to Chicago, sleep a couple hours, and fly home monday AM.
chris jury

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the recordings from the festival and our friend Neal. Tracks 1-2 were written on a friday afternoon and recorded on saturday morning. live to 4 track...recorded over an old Il State patrol evidence cassette- in a tiny practice space in Chicago.

I'm beginning to think this band really benefits from very lo-fi recording. Not sure it'd be better if we had 2 weeks in a fancy studio with 24+ tracks and isolation.

tracks 3-9 are from the festival. The night before had been long and boozy, so a few mics weren't in place at the beginning, but you get the general idea.

https://michiganindienetwork.bandcamp.com/album/chicago-gladstone-2017
chris jury

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Something Tough- 3rd and 4th releases Reply with quote

In August my friend Sam came over from London and hung out for the better part of the month. He took over drumming duties for Something Tough, as well as joining The Bismarck for a cover recording (I Can Only Give You Everything by Van Morrison)

We had intended to record a full album of material for Something Tough- but due to circumstance, we were only able to do a quick recording in the garage- 2 songs written and recorded in about an hour. I think they are a pair of very good songs. Waltz For Now is maybe the coolest song I've been part of in a long time.
https://somethingtough.bandcamp.com/album/everett-2017

Sam and I then spent some evenings picking out a song, then recording it, ended up with 8 tracks that we liked a lot.- Releasing that under the name Somewhat Tough. Hope you find it amusing.
https://somethingtough.bandcamp.com/album/somewhat-tough-garage-days-re-re-revisited
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: