The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duncan HB Antiquities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86runner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Duncan HB Antiquities Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with them? I have them in a Les Paul I picked up and am having a hard time bonding with them. I've read nothing bad at all about these things. Matter of fact, seems like everyone who has them LOVES them. The LP has stock wiring, so I'm thinking of picking up an RS Guitarworks wiring harness to see if that helps. They're low output pickups anyway, but I'm just not getting much sustain out of them and they're really dark in my LP. Going from my Kauer Daylighter Supreme (which is semi-hollow with the stock Wolfetones) to the LP is like going from an HB guitar to a single coil guitar. The Daylighter is going to sound better anyway, but the LP should still be a good HB guitar. The Daylighter handles distortion MUCH better than the LP. Just thought I'd ask. I'm assuming they're great pickups. Just wondering what I need to do to realize that! Thanks!

Grab yo git-fiddle.

Last edited by 86runner on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jlarkins

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with the humbuckers but I love the single coil "surfers". I was gonna check out a set of the humbuckers.
Guitarchitect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, I have had experience with the Seymour Duncan humbucker Antiquities in a Les Paul. I had similar issues with them as you are finding. There wasn't as much sustain as I wished, and I wasn't particularly happy with the mid range. However, there are a couple of things I would suggest that can improve the tone.

First, check the volume potentiometers of your Les Paul. I recently discovered that my Gibsons had 300k volume pots and 500k tone pots stock. When I replaced the volumes with 500k pots, it really opened up the sound. I am ecstatic with the sound of my honeyburst Les Paul Standard with Seymour Duncan 59s!

Secondly, you can swap the magnet in the Antiquities to a full charged alnico II versus the aged magnet that comes stock. It's quite easy: just remove the covers, slide the magnet out and replace with a new one. Just make sure you have the magnet oriented the same way as the original to prevent any phase issues. I've heard that fully charged alnico IV magnets sound really great in these as well.

Just some suggestions.. hope this helps! Cool

"The most sophisticated people I know - inside they are all children." -Jim Henson
Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!
http://www.raveonguitars.com
JGK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: HB Pickups Reply with quote

While I haven't tried the SD's I have a 339 with Wolfetone's and a Bulldog Lester build with Skatterbranes. Both sets are pretty sensitive to PU height. I would start with them almost touching the strings and very slowly drop them down 1/16 use to Gibsons set up standard also adjust the individual poles to bring up a bit more brightness especially on the treble side. If you decide to rewire them consider the 50s wiring scheme there's some good articles on it and it seems to retain treble better.

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/paula.pdf

Good Luck JK
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was using them, I put them down low. Neck even with the ring. Then extend the pole pieces and the sound should brighten up. Had to treat my Seth Lovers the same way. If you still have no sustain with them lowered, maybe the problems not the pickups.
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Duncan HB Antiquities Reply with quote

86runner wrote:
Anyone have experience with them? I have them in a Les Paul I picked up and am having a hard time bonding with them. I've read nothing bad at all about these things. Matter of fact, seems like everyone who has them LOVES them. The LP has stock wiring, so I'm thinking of picking up an RS Guitarworks wiring harness to see if that helps. They're low output pickups anyway, but I'm just not getting much sustain out of them and they're really dark in my LP. Going from my Kauer Daylighter Supreme (which is semi-hollow with the stock Wolfetones) to the LP is like going from an HB guitar to a single coil guitar. The Daylighter is going to sound better anyway, but the LP should still be a good HB guitar. The Daylighter handles distortion MUCH better than the LP. Just thought I'd ask. I'm assuming they're great pickups. Just wondering what I need to do to realize that! Thanks!

Have you contacted Duncan?

I don't have any experience with the Antiquities, or many other humbuckers for that matter, but I put a set of CS JB/Jazz in a heavy cherry bodied Tele and it came to life in a big way. Lots of snap, great sustain.

If you don't like the Antiquities, pull them and get something else. That's my best advice.
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer that 'thinner' tone in a humbucker - if you decide to swap them out for something, let me know and I'll take 'em.
86runner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do! Bought an RS harness to go in it. See if that does anything. Big claims on these things. Just don't see how they can change pickups that much, but might as well try. Just haven't had time to install it yet Sad

Grab yo git-fiddle.
86runner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me a while, but just an update on this. I installed the RS harness last night and got a chance to plug in and turn up today. I always read these types of "before and after" threads with so much doubt, but I was really pleasantly surprised. I eliminated the controversial and heavily scrutinized grounding plate and obviously changed all pots and caps to the ones supplied by RS. Seems like a night and day difference. I have absolutely zero evidence other than the fact that I enjoy playing this guitar a lot more than I did before the change. Anyway, thought I'd post up because I was actually surprised at the improvement, whether perceived or otherwise.

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: