The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No tone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: No tone! Reply with quote

I'm working on a friends guitar. Its a jaguar and he wants custom wiring. Here's what he wants:

-2 jaguar pickups
-a 4 way tele switch
-no tone pot, just a volume
-no upper horn tone crontrols

I'm no electronics whiz and all 4 way tele wiring diagrams I've found have a tone pot wired in. Is it as simple as removing the pot and the connections that go to tone?

Second question, would I still use a the traditional jaguar 1meg audio for volume if their is no tone circuit?

Thanks for your time.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just remove the capacitor and tone pot. Wiper of volume pot goes to the output jack as normal, pickup selector switch output goes to volume pot's left lug (looking from the back) with the right lug earthed (grounded).

As for the pot values-- Jaguar

I'd start with 1Meg since that is what's usually used on Jaguars and is part of their characteristically bright sound, but have a 500k on hand as well (maybe even a 250k) in case you think its TOO bright now that we're not having to offset a bit of loading from the tone control circuit(s).
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll get on it and see how it sounds. He also wants a colorsound one knob fuzz installed in the empty upper horn control area, but that's for another time Cool
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two pickups, one volume, no tone, wire the pot like this:

LINK

As for pot value, I think I'd use a 250K unless the pickups are really dark or muddy. I always have a couple extra pots laying around to try out, but once I settle on what I like I use a brand new one.

For instance, I built a 3 pickup Tele with 250K pots. It was too dark, so I traded up to 500K. I might still change to 1Meg.

On the other hand, my new/old TeleGib originally had 500K pots, but I went with 250K when I put in the SD JB/Jazz humbuckers. It's full and rich, and still snappy. Perfect.

It really depends on the guitar what components you use to get the best out of it.
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. I'll try the 1 Meg first and jumper some test resistors to change the value. Time for experimenting.
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangent ...

My whole concept of custom guitar building isn't about crazy new body styles or multiscale necks or all that weird stuff.

It's about using the established formulas as a guideline and finding what works for the components you're using to make the best sounding and playing guitar that money can buy.

I've found that you can make an amazing guitar using the cheapest parts you can find. The key is choosing individual pieces that compliment the wood. It might be a $20 set of tuners on a custom made unobtanium neck, or a set of take-off pickups from a student model guitar that just happen to sound great in a particular body.

You just never know what will sound good, so I try to keep an open mind.

I ran across this video from Anderton's the other day. I like watching these guys, and they did some good work here.

https://youtu.be/Xu_plv2CTEM

</soapbox> Wink
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My whole concept of custom guitar building isn't about crazy new body styles or multiscale necks or all that weird stuff.

It's about using the established formulas as a guideline and finding what works for the components you're using to make the best sounding and playing guitar that money can buy.

I've found that you can make an amazing guitar using the cheapest parts you can find. The key is choosing individual pieces that compliment the wood. It might be a $20 set of tuners on a custom made unobtanium neck, or a set of take-off pickups from a student model guitar that just happen to sound great in a particular body.

You just never know what will sound good, so I try to keep an open mind

+1
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree!

So, I edited this seymour duncan diagram and wired it up...

I'm getting some weirdness. positions 1 and 2 are both pickups and positions 3 and 4 are the neck.
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll triple check my wiring and see if I made an error
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: