The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting PAF (SH-4 JB model) mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Interesting PAF (SH-4 JB model) mod Reply with quote

PAF mod
marksound

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just a link? Have you tried it? What did you think?

Sorry to poke you in the eye, but making a new topic to post a link without any comment is like clickbait.

Back on topic, I put the JB/Jazz combo with a 3 way switch in a Plaid Sabbath cherrywood body with a maple neck. I love the sound and can't imagine it being any better.

Nice boob shot, but I can see boobs anywhere. I'd like to read an opinion of the article. Wink
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about teasing, no pun intended. Wink

Yeah, I'll report on this mod down the road, my LP project is on the back burner.

I find this interesting because I read somewhere that Gibson Burstbucker doesn't matched their coil windings, one coil may have more windings than the other. Now this mods, seems like with the 25k volume pot you could mismatch coil windings like a Burstbucker. Well that's the impression I get.

Seymour Duncan JB model SH-4 has an impedance of 16.6k yet its fairly mild - moderate gain for an extremely high impedance if you asks me. So this pickup seems ideal reducing the impedance of one coil.

So I just threw this link out there. Very Happy
afu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my blog. I was inspired by Burstbuckers and PAFs in general when I came up with the idea.

I have reversed this mod recently, but I have some ideas to help others make it work for their needs:
    Use push/pull pots or on-off-on switches to throw it into the sweet spots; While 25k + 10k gave really good results, the variation was minor over much of the travel.
    Resistor values for a switch: 10k twang; 18k robust pseudo-single; 33k-36k PAF-y.
    On the other pole of the switch, set caps up for the tone control to have appropriate values for single and humbucker.

If anyone has questions, let me know or hit me up at the blog. I'm chronically ill, so I'm not always timely about revisiting BBs, but I'll try to respond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: