The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aged Fender Grillcloth Experiment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Aged Fender Grillcloth Experiment Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share here for any who may be interested. I recently finished building an Allen Encore and I ordered the cabinet to be built with aged grillcloth. After getting it all up and running (so awesome), I felt the "aged" character of the grillcloth wasn't quite deep enough.

Here's the cabinet as it arrived. Black tolex, aged grillcloth.

I put in an order at Mojotone for their Aged Fender-style black/white/silver cloth thinking that it would be a deeper hue, like you see on Blackface era amps. Turns out that it's the same as what came on the cabinet above, so I decided to deepen the hue myself.

Here are some test pieces

Left to right:
-Mojotone aged Fender style black/white/silver, stock
-Sprayed with tinted clear lacquer
-Rubbed with Kiwi Brand brown shoe polish
-Soaked in tea, Barry's Irish Breakfast Smile

I liked the tea soaked one the best, so here it is re-clothed

This was left to soak overnight in black tea, off the baffle of course, then stapled back on.

Tbh, it was a lot of work for something so trivial but there was no harm in trying and I learned how to re-cloth baffles so that was cool.

Take care.
Lon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does look better than before. Good job
#313. Praisegig
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work "aging" the grill.

I bought a new grill turquoise, silver, CBS style for my '79 Princeton. It looked too new so worked the original grill back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: