The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Improved Fender 2 button rev/vib footswitch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Improved Fender 2 button rev/vib footswitch? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I recently built an Allen Encore combo amp from a kit which is essentially a modified Fender Vibrolux. I want a footswitch to operate the reverb and trem but I don't want to buy the official chintzy chrome fender one. David Allen suggested those for this amp.

The pedal info and needs:
-It simply shorts out the jack to kill each effect.
-The cable for the reverb must be shielded.
-I would like LEDs, 9vDC, and a 9v battery option.
-The jacks on the amp are rca, one for reverb, one for trem.
-It would be housed in a 1590b or 125b sized enclosure.

I wanted to know if the cable I need is even doable. I think it would need dual rca on one end and a 1/4" TRS on the other. Is this Y cable roll your own capable?

Any help is appreciated. I cant find a diagram for what I need anywhere so I thought I'd try here.

Thanks for your time.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but the cable you need is 2 conductor, 1 of which is metal braid shielded. That's standard Fender. Other types will work as well.
I was wondering how your amp turned out. Which speakers did you get? I have the Copperheads in mine and love them. Running 6V6GTs with a 5U4GB rectifier and it sounds very nice. Great clean and overdriven, with pedals or just by turning up. The RAW control is a great addition to the Fender formula. I do wish it was footswitch controlable. It's a great boost for solos.
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't really understand my question either. Smile

It's a multi-part question. First, is this the cable I would use if I built the pedal?

Here's the amazon link Hosa TRS-203 1/4 inch TRS to Dual RCA Insert Cable
I'm not sure if it's shielded the way it should be. Maybe I need an XLR to TRS and I should snip the XLR end and solder on two RCA jacks.

Second, I cant find a simple diagram/layout to build exactly what I need for the pedal.
-single input jack
-indicator LEDs
-9v battery option (possibly in addition to a 9vDC input jack)

Aside from this, I absolutely love the amp. It was a blast to build and I had only a couple minor hiccups along the way which David promptly helped me troubleshoot. It's the same setup as yours.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to use shielded cable, as long as you have enough conductors. Fender did it with 3 conductors in one cable. And your pic is right. I bought one from David Allen. Afterwards I found a 2 button switch in my closet that would have worked with a cable like you are talking about. I still have it, no LEDS though.
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pal!

Now I just need to find a diagram for the footswitch. I found a forum post that asks what I am, but the response is jibberish to my feeble mind.

here it is http://www.tdpri.com/threads/need-help-fender-style-two-button-footswitch-for-allen-amp.506648/
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want I can take some pics. I don't know how to wire the LEDs, but it should be simple.
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok. Thank you though. If I'm going to want LEDs I would use a DPDT switch so the wiring would be different. I'll continue the hunt and post a diagram if I find one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: