The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 pickup sg custom wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: 3 pickup sg custom wiring Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Trying to find a standard wiring diagram for a 3 pickup gibson. I can find plenty with mods and push pull, toggles, all that stuff, but the traditional style 3 pickup wiring is a little hard to find.

Alternatively, whats then the best way to simply add a middle pickup to a 2 pickup, essentially that way I can just add the 3rd pickup wires where they need to go.

Any help appreciated, and have a happy holiday season to everyone
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take a look at the wiring diagrams on the Dimarzio website. They have options for just about every combination and still apply even if you're not using Dimarzio pickups. Just match up the correct colors for + and - for your pickups to the schematics and you're good to go.
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the Gibson 3 humbucker diagrams I seen using a Switchcraft toggle switch, seems like the middle pickup is blended to either bridge or neck pickup. Confused
Kregg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for 3 Pickup Les Paul Wiring. Cool
guitarguy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
Of all the Gibson 3 humbucker diagrams I seen using a Switchcraft toggle switch, seems like the middle pickup is blended to either bridge or neck pickup. Confused

Yep, that's how my old '76 SG Custom is wired.

If you want some other combo, you can take use the bottom plates from one Switchcraft switch and add them to a second Switchcraft switch to give you more poles to work with. I did this a long time ago on a 3 humbucker Les Paul to give it more variation. You are only limited by your creativity and the room in your switch route.
blackone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help guys, I gotta order me the correct switch. My other custom I wired with 3 separate volumes and a master tone so I can essentially blend the middle pickup, but this one I want to wire OG style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: