The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sprayed contact cleaner on my amp's scratchy pots.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jaybones



Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 426

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Sprayed contact cleaner on my amp's scratchy pots. Reply with quote

Bought some CPC QD electrical contact cleaner from Wally World, cheaper than De-Ox-It, and larger can. Pretty much the same stuff.

To get access to the offending pots, I had to take apart my Peavey Stereo Chorus 400. Easier said than done, there was several screws I didn't know about. Started off trying to not fully disassemble the PCB, but soon realized that it had to come out for me to get to the pots.

After several false starts, and getting hung up trying to leave itas assembled as I could, I decided to just take it all apart. Got the PCB in my hand, sprayed the pots (little squirts into the open back, between the pieces of the housing and where the shaft goes inside the housing) and started to reassemble. Thought I had it all fine, and put the back panel back on. Went to put the knobs back on the shafts, and realized that one of the pots hadn't gotten through the hole in the front panel.

I had reinstalled the back panel and tightened the top four long screws that hold the power section to the combo. Start over, back panel off, power section out and disconnected. This time I pulled the inputs off the circuit board, plastic multi pin connectors so I could mount them on the front panel without struggling with the PCB. Also missed the washers on them the first time- I'd put them in the right spots and threaded the nuts on. Only when I went to the front to start putting knobs back on did I notice that the washers were missing, as well as one of the pots not pushed through the hole in the panel.

Long story short (too late), I decided to take this down further the second time around and was able to reinstall it component by component. Got it all back together, set everything to 0 and plugged it in.

Crossed fingers and held breath waiting for smoke and sparks, fire extinguisher at the ready. After I realized it wasn't going to blow, I started turning up each pot a little at a time.

Finally turned it off and plugged in, powered it back on and strummed a chord. Turned the knobs that had been noisy before, and there is nothing but silence.

SWEEEET!!! The sound of SILENCE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tab



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1276
Location: Portland, Or.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news that your time was well spent and everything is working.
All too often I've dove in with good intentions and have ended up with a fully assembled unit that didn't work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group