The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

heath solid state amplifier ta-16...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddjr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: heath solid state amplifier ta-16... Reply with quote

Grabbed this from the dump one day. There was a large d battery sized capacitor that wasn't soldered to the board. Fixed that, now it makes noise. But it's more of a "pop" than it should be as far as a guitar string sound. Nothing seems burst as far as caps. It is scratchy even before the pots are turned. The treble and bass pots do next to nothing when turned. And the tremolo works very infrequently. I'd like any ideas/advice as far as fixing up this old amp. I mean, it's an amp! Smile the reverb is springs in a box and actually sounds pretty cool. It looks battered but that doesn't bother me. I'll try to put pictures up.
RandyM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I fixed my last '70s Marantz preamp.

ddjr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it fix it? Is it a usable amp now?
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear in mind that Heath amps were kits. So you're at the mercy of whoever assembled the kit. There's no guarantee the amp EVER worked properly, in other words, so there's a small chance you might be up against a full rebuild. Still, that might not be too difficult given how well-documented those kit form amps tend to be.
RandyM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddjr wrote:
Did it fix it? Is it a usable amp now?

In my case, yes. These old amps usually have bad caps in them after 40'ish years.
ddjr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... is there a preference, or should I just replace the components with similar or exact ones? Or is there a benefit to upgrading?
BeauZeau

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to replace germanium output transistors and you can't find any, drop me a line. I've done it successfully (more or less) with silicon, in a Standel amp. You have to make small changes. I have a drawing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: