The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAD! Allen Encore-- New Pics, FINALLY..........
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: NAD! Allen Encore-- New Pics, FINALLY.......... Reply with quote

Haven't been around for a while but I thought some of you may enjoy this.
I bought an Encore kit from David Allen and this is a partial result. The cabinet and speakers will come later. It will be a 2-10 combo with Eminence GA SC64 speakers. A medium brown tolex with a dark brown grill cloth.
I have played it through a WGS G12C/s using the reverb pan from my Deluxe Reverb. And through a pair of Celestions, Vintage 30 and a Greenback. The amp sounds better than I ever expected. I love a good Vibrolux Reverb and have lusted after one for many years. But this amp is all I ever wanted in a VR and much more. I have a set of old 6L6GCs in it, don't remember what brand, but they work very well. Good headroom and wonderful overdrive, and with the raw control and master volume the possibilities seem endless. Can switch to 6V6s also. Re-bias with a standard meter from the back panel and a knob under the chassis. And not to forget the bias modulating tremolo, this is maybe the best trem I have ever heard. Smooth and swampy, mild to deep and fast to s-l-o-w....
If you have ever thought about building a kit, maybe looked at some of the kits available from the different vendors/builders, I recommend David's kits over any. Especially if you haven't any experience with this kind of thing. The kits are a little more expensive than most but you get more for your money in the long run. Like the chassis is stainless steel rather than painted carbon steel and custom wound transformers Better components, better instructions, excellent support( if you have a problem he will help you get it right or even do it for you) and a better end product. His amps are based on the classic Fenders but with his own improvements. OK, enough of that. You can tell I am really excited over this amp. Here are a few pics.

Last edited by ajeffcote on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
RolandR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the "Like" button? Laughing

I'd bought the smaller kits(2), but want the larger kits like Brown Sugar, Accomplice, Encore, or Sweet Spot. I want that "Black Face" amp tone!
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
Where's the "Like" button? Laughing

I'd bought the smaller kits(2), but want the larger kits like Brown Sugar, Accomplice, Encore, or Sweet Spot. I want that "Black Face" amp tone!

Yes, I like that blackface tone too. Allen's good at it. I still want a Sweet Spot or a Chihuahua.
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought David Allen's 5F1+ and 5FCA basically to get my feet wet on assembling a tube amp. Solder by numer - lol.

But they were too "tweedy" for me so I sold / trade them on Craiglist. I'm more of a black face Fender guy ( OR retro Vintage amp guy, Mashall, Hiwatt, Vox).

Yeah, I heard that "Raw" give more gain (trade-off, tone controls are less useable) so you could dial in anything from headroom clean to mild drive.

I don't recall but doesn't the reverb have two controls to fine tune the reverb to your liking? Very Happy

When you said "headroom clean" don't you mean "BF Fender Clean"? When someone says "headroom" I'm thinking Nile Rodger 'Funk Clean' but Fender Clean I'm thinking CCR John / tom Fogerty clean.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackface shimmering scooped smooth and percussive cleans. 2 knob reverb. 3 knob on the Old Flame. John Fogerty would love it
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it finished! I am in the process of placing my first order with Mr Allen but I'm still deciding what I want. I'm also looking at the Encore in 2x10 with WGS G10C's.
gkyhn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you did a great job on that. I've lusted for one of those for a while and you're sure not helping!
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right? Also, the Encore and Old Flame are the October kit specials at $999.

Ajeffcote, Why the GA SC64 and not the copperheads? I'm still deciding on the speakers and covering. I'm leaning towards WGS G10's.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a 12" GA SC64 in another amp a while back and loved it so I thought I'd try them in the Encore. Second choice would be the Copperheads or the WGS G10C/S.
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jovi Bon Kenobi wrote:
Can't wait to see it finished! I am in the process of placing my first order with Mr Allen but I'm still deciding what I want. I'm also looking at the Encore in 2x10 with WGS G10C's.

I love the blackface sound, and the WGS G12C is the best speaker I've ever heard for that sound, without exception. Hell, I've made at least three other sales for WGS just at my jam alone! I assume the G10C is more of the same. They're very clear, with a very nice and forward treble, but with no harshness at all. World-beater ceramic magnet speakers!
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no cabinet! I talked to David and he apologized for the delay, and I'm not worried in the least. I know it will be worth the wait. Still, I am more than ready to finish it!
Jovi Bon Kenobi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too! Ha, I don't mind though. The october sale put him back a couple weeks. Mine is expected hopefully sometime before xmas.

Hey, did you get everything to work right off the bat? On mine the normal channel input produces no sound but the -3db one does. Also, the reverb doesn't come through with a tank plugged in.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have a reverb tank at the moment but everything else is great. Through 2 Celestions it is a tad dark so I think my speaker choice will work well. Did have 1 preamp tube was a little squealy but I have many others so no worry there.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pics of the finished amp. Brown tolex with cocoa grillcloth. Added a little brace to the back so I could use the stand without putting extra pressure on the back panel. 2 Eminence Copperheads, RCA 6V6GT output tubes, RCA 5U4GB rectifier, and a mix of Mullard, RCA, Tungsol and Electroharmonix pre-amp tubes.
This is a great amp for anyone who likes blackface and tweed tones. Killer tremolo and reverb. I can switch to 6L6GCs and a 5AR4 rectifier for about 35 Watts. Around 20 right now.

RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, that would be one of my dream amp. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: