The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little amp quandry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86runner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Little amp quandry Reply with quote

Just started kicking something around in my head today because there's an early 90s Marshall Bluesbreaker 2x12 RI that hit craigslist. My amp situation is as follows: 65 BF Champ, Blackstar HT5TH, AC15, Samamp VAC 23, 70s SF Deluxe Reverb and a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 for my solid state fix. The Deluxe Reverb hasn't been turned on in quite some time. It's been sitting under its cover, as I find I can get anything I need in Fender clean territory out of the Samamp, Champ or even the Blackstar. I've debated selling the DR and picking up a Bluesbreaker. I don't gig anymore, so this will sit in my music room. I say that because I know the Bluesbreakers aren't small amps. Portability isn't an issue. I have all basic sounds covered except Marshall. I know this is ultimately my decision, and I have to go with my gut, but for the sake of conversation, what do you guys think about the Bluesbreaker RIs? Would I miss the DR? Would I love the Bluesbreaker? I just feel I have too many amps in the Fender camp. What say ye?

Grab yo git-fiddle.
eljay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reverb and clean tones you get out of a Fender amp are so versatile and familiar sounding that I couldn't imagine not owning one. They're such a perfect blank canvas that with the right pedals they can do pretty much anything. The only thing they lack is the raw power and low-end grunt of a Marshall. So if that's what you're looking for....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eljay-Guitarworks/622637054471300

Last edited by eljay on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Old Black

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only add the obvious - tweeds & BFs are different animals. I agree - a BF Deluxe reverb or Princeton are about as versatile as you can get.
86runner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm kicking around the Vintage Modern 2266C. May be the way to go as it has a Master volume. Seems it gets excellent reviews. Oh, and cheaper, with KT66s. Anybody have experience with them?

Grab yo git-fiddle.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Deluxe Reverb that I couldn't imagine ever selling. Takes pedals very nicely. One pedal I particular that gives me the Marshall sound, at least all I need, is Visual Sound Custom Overdrive. They were/are a limited production run and you may not be able to find one. But if you could it may well change your mind about the DR. Visual Sound is now Truetone and I bet they could fix you up. My CSOD cost around $120 and it's one I will be keeping.
86runner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa love for the DR, huh?! Yeah, I hear you guys. It's definitely a great amp, and one I thought I'd never part with, until I bought this Samamp from Randy. Incredible the cleans it spits out. The Champ does the cleans just as well also. I actually pulled the trigger on a purple Vintage Modern 2266C on Reverb. Shipped to me for $750. May try to keep the DR, too, but I'm running out of room! I have an old UK Marshall Guv'nor that was doing my Marshalling for me, but I wanted the real thing. Guess I can unload it now and recoup some funds!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could only have one amp to do everything, a nice Deluxe Reverb is a good candidate.

However, I am a recent convert to Marshall Bluesbreakers. Most of the master-volume Marshalls I've never gotten along with, but I just got a nice old Bluesbreaker and I never realized before how much I could love a Marshall. I can't speak to the reissues because I've never gotten the chance to try one, but...

I wouldn't do anything rash on account of a reissue. They're not in short supply. I'd play a few first, whenever they come up for sale at local shops, and really get a feel firsthand for whether or not it will be more useful to you than the DR will.

Funny coincidence, though-- just last week I traded an old (non-reverb) blackface Deluxe for a Marshall bluesbreaker (though a 4x10 model... the model 1961. Mine is from 1971).

So maybe I'm saying "do as I say, not as I do." Laughing
86runner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could get rid of the Champ instead. It would pay for the VM2266 too. Decisions, decisions. I like that the Champ is a grab n go low power amp, though. Makes more sense for me to keep the Champ, since I only play at home now. I can actually wind it up pretty good if I want to. The DR stays pretty much between 1 and 2 all the time. The Samamp is 23 watts so it has the same upper end power as the DR, but is more versatile with the onboard attenuated 5 wattage settings and gain.

I was originally turned on by the Bluesbreaker RI, partly because I've always loved the look of the Bluesbreakers, partly because I've always heard good things about them, and partly because through some searching, they didn't look to come on the market very often. I then researched the VM and it seemed like a better amp for me, despite the modern look. I read in many places that the VM will easily cop Bluesbreaker tones, but also does rock and higher gain things as well. Seems more versatile. It DEFINITELY ain't as purdy as a Bluesbreaker though!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're gonna go Marhsall, I say go for the bluesbreaker!

I have personal bias though, because any time I've ever tried to go for something more "practical" or "versatile" I've always ended up disappointed. Wink

But if the Deluxe is always staying around 1 or 2, it's likely the Marshall will be too loud as well!!
86runner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the master volume will help with that. Reviews have been pretty positive even at bedroom levels. Otherwise, I may try cranking it through an attenuator. Also, the VM2266 seems to be pretty sought after. Should be able to sell it if it ain't my cup of tea.

Grab yo git-fiddle.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just food for thought/devil's advocate re: online reviews--

I could easily find positive online reviews for McDonalds if I wanted to. In fact, just for fun, It took me two clicks to find a five star review of Papa John's pizza in midtown manhattan (as if there wasn't any actual good pizza there!). I mean, Papa John's a five star restaurant?

Wink

Not saying that other Marshall is a bad amp. I don't know. But with guitar sound, my experience has been that there is seldom a free lunch. A master volume might help you overload the preamp tubes; that will not sound the same as getting a non-master amp cooking at higher volumes (very different matter).

Definitely try before you buy/trade!
86runner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tangelolemon wrote:
Just food for thought/devil's advocate re: online reviews--

I could easily find positive online reviews for McDonalds if I wanted to. In fact, just for fun, It took me two clicks to find a five star review of Papa John's pizza in midtown manhattan (as if there wasn't any actual good pizza there!). I mean, Papa John's a five star restaurant?

Wink

Not saying that other Marshall is a bad amp. I don't know. But with guitar sound, my experience has been that there is seldom a free lunch. A master volume might help you overload the preamp tubes; that will not sound the same as getting a non-master amp cooking at higher volumes (very different matter).

Definitely try before you buy/trade!

Point well taken. I'm as research intensive as can be with any large purchase (my wife'll tell you the same!), to the point of obsessive, honestly. I absolutely take online reviews with a grain of salt, but it's always good to see an item thoroughly reviewed to death in many different places with >95% positive reviews. The Bluesbreaker RIs were actually not reviewed as positively as the VM, which is what piqued my interest. Some have definitely pointed out that at lower volumes it doesn't sound as good as it does when it's really cooking (though many said it's better than most at low volumes), but that goes without saying. I'm not afraid to get an attenuator for it and let it rip, if I need to. I'd still come in under what the Bluesbreaker would've cost me. Also, I find I really enjoy a lot of different things. I'm probably pretty easy to please, too. I find the little Backstair HT5TH gets a fantastic overdriven Fender blues tone perfect for a Strat at very low bedroom levels. It's bone stock! I do appreciate the input, though. Hopefully it'll be a good purchase. I've actually never bought a piece of gear online that I wasn't happy with, and that's how I do most of my buying. Again, I'm probably very easy to please!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
86runner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amp came in today! Fiddled with it a little, and first of all, it's cleaner than it looked in the Reverb auction, which was a nice surprise. Secondly, it fulfills all my expectations for Marshall crunch at low volume. It'll do fat, bluesy tone with its mid boost, as well as balls out high'ish gain with the high dynamic mode kicked in. Enough balls out for me, that is. It's not a high gain amp by any means (at least as much as I've played through it so far), but I don't need anything more. It think this'll fill my Marshall void perfectly. UK made, too!

This amp is so much better than the Class 5 I had it's not even funny. I had almost told myself Marshall wasn't for me. Glad to say I was wrong. The Class 5 is a joke compared to this amp. Yes, I know they're not even comparable, but aside from the 1 watters, they're the only low power offering I'm aware of that Marshall has. I looked at the 1 watters, but they seemed way overpriced for what you get, so I ruled them out.

Anyway, happy new amp day to me! Pics to come!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great news!! so glad it worked out for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: