The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coral Tele Got A Lollar Goldfoil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Coral Tele Got A Lollar Goldfoil Reply with quote

My coral tele got a makeover - finally got around to trying this Lollar goldfoil I got on Ebay.

It's a great-sounding pickup, but my impression is that it's much closer to a goldfoil Dearmond than the "Ry Cooder" Japanese goldfoil. It's got a big, deep voice with less sparkle than I expected with 500K pots.

Also put a Harmonic Design Super 90 in the bridge - I think it's much like a Rio Grande Dirty Harry - very hot, but a little brighter. I don't care what they say about "sounding like a P90," but constructing it like a P90 doesn't make it sound like a P90. That being said, these are my favorite bridge pickups if I'm not going to use a real P90 in the bridge, as god intended.

I've also convinced myself that using a left-handed tele bridge (especially with vintage-output pickups) provides a more balanced output - fattens up the high strings a little, and gives you all the twang you could possibly need on the bottom. Probably just the placebo effect. It still sounds like a tele.

BTW, this is a one piece (IIRC) swamp ash Warmoth body with a fatback Warmoth neck on it. Weighs 6 lbs 4 ozs.

Seanwimer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks killer! I'm gonna have to try that bridge idea out soon!
twangster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking ! I must try a gold foil on a "non slider" soon.
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks, why did I open this post and see the Lollar gold foil. Now I want one!!!

I'm not into pickups (per sa) but dang, that looks so LP Deluxe mini-humbuckers!!!

Harmonic Design pickups, curious about their pickups because they have pearloid colored bobbins. But I agree, they're probably in same category like Rio Grande, Van Zandts which are brands I have and like.

Do you have "treble bleed" on the volume pot? Hot single works great with a "treble bleed". You could sweep from mild single coil to gain of P90s with really hot single coils.
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland - I'm trying to stay away from treble bleeds these days. Even when I get them working more or less right, they always change the taper of the volume control. That being said, I like a vintage 10K Dearmond with a 1 meg volume pot, in which case a treble bleed is a must.

I wish people would specify Japanese or Dearmond when they say "gold foil." The Japanese were copies of Dearmonds, but they're not the same at all, in my experience. And there are a few different Japanese goldfoils, too.

I've liked every Harmonic Design pickup I've ever used. Their Z90's are like nothing else on the planet.
Old Black

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reviewed the Lollar goldfoil for Vintage Guitar about 2 years ago. They are very nice.
http://www.vintageguitar.com/17832/lollars-gold-foil-pickup/
indianjjy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: tele Reply with quote

Very nice, luv coral !!!

John
mr coffee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: the lefty bridge Reply with quote

mod is fabulous... I've one 52 ri lefty plate left with serial numbers out of 20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: