The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am building a Princeton Amp Kit 5F2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbaker2002de

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: I am building a Princeton Amp Kit 5F2 Reply with quote

I've been wanting to do this for a while, so I finally ordered myself an amp kit from Mojotone for a 5F2 tweed Princeton style amp. I am quite excited. It will be a really cool addition to the Jazzmaster P90 I am building from Warmoth (thank you tax money!!).

I am going to build it as a head, so I got the amp section with no cabinet and no speaker. Only ran me $290. I'll build a head cabinet to put it in, and an external speaker cabinet to go with it later. With me luck!!
ghobii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great price if it comes out nice. I love the sound of Princetons, and hope to try building an amp eventually too. Good Luck!
Bootsypratt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their Tweed Champ kit is on my radar.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rooftopflyers
ezraplaysezra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugg... I just became a Mojotone dealer for their pickup parts but I could have got you a deal on the kit. Sorry to not let you know before. Still, $290 isn't too shabby either. Next time, or anyone else... PM me.
kbaker2002de

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezraplaysezra wrote:
Ugg... I just became a Mojotone dealer for their pickup parts but I could have got you a deal on the kit. Sorry to not let you know before. Still, $290 isn't too shabby either. Next time, or anyone else... PM me.

Well that sucks LOL. Just for future reference to other guys (and me if I do a Deluxe or a BF amp) what kind discount?

Thank you.
kbaker2002de

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bootsypratt wrote:
Their Tweed Champ kit is on my radar.

So I almost did a Champ as well, however I found that the Princeton is only marginally more expensive, it's 7W instead of 5W, and it has a tone control. Otherwise, the two are identical.
Bootsypratt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezraplaysezra wrote:

I'll keep you in mind, thanks!

http://www.reverbnation.com/rooftopflyers
ezraplaysezra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could have knocked 25% off what you paid. Like I said, anyone interested PM me and I'll see what I could do. Or we could put together a group build or something if we got enough interest up.
kbaker2002de

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amp parts came in. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but once you kind of get on a roll it isn't that bad. I went about installing all the hardware onto the chassis, and putting the caps and resistors on the fiber board. But no solder yet. I am mad at myself, I wasn't careful about orientation when installing the tube sockets and the tube holders. I had faned out the 8 pins you solder to, but had to move them back in so I could take the socket out and re-orient. Needless to say, I broke about 2 solder terminals per socket. DOH!! Oh, well new sockets are on their way.

Board is all laid out, I have a couple resistor's left in the small parts package, so I have to figure out where they go. I want to verify where everything goes before I start with the Solder. All the hardware (except the tube sockets I need to redo) are installed on the chassis. The input jacks and pots are attached on the outside until I do the soldering that holds them together to give myself more room. Then I'll reattach to the inside of the chassis.

Couple things, Mojotone has a very nice Schematic and layout to follow, they give you a nice box with all electrical componenets that is nicely marked, but they do not have an actual instruction manual of how to complete the build. So I found a 26 page instruction pdf from BYOC of how to build their Champ. There are small differences, but it makes for a good resource material building a 5F1 or 5F2 design.
kbaker2002de

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple questions to those more knowledgeable than I on amp building, both regarding the output transformers.

I think I found where the output transformer is supposed to mount on the chassis, but there is only one hole to use to bolt the transformer to the chassis. So I will have to drill another one. Anyone else have this issue with any Mojo kit?

Second, I was looking at the wiring diagram for the output transformer, and it looks like there is one wire for an 8ohm output and another wire that is for 4ohm. The 5F2 plans only call for the 8ohm output and one jack since it was designed as a combo. But I'll be putting this as a head, so is it as easy as adding a swich that selects either the 4ohm or 8ohm tap? Thanks.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned, you're getting into dangerous territory, building amps! It can become an addiction. Lots of fun.
About the OT taps, you can use both with a switch or just one.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the impedance selector, I recommend sourcing a "make-before-break" switch. This provides an extra measure of idiot-proof for those who would dare switch impedances with the amp on and running.

Hoffman Amps sells some switches that are marketed specifically as impedance selectors for guitar amps that are the right type.
kbaker2002de

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having to get new tube sockets anyway, so I am ordering an impedence switch with it. So I have made good progress, and now I just have to wait for parts to continue.

I mounted a few things on the outside of the chassis to get started.

I also laid out the entire circuit board before soldering.

Here the circuit board is soldered, and everything in the front end of the amp is wired.

Close of of the input jacks and pots

And the preamp socket which I didn't destroy

greysun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built a Mojo JTM45 kit, and they have quality stuff. I had a pro look at it to make sure everything was kosher, and he said it sounded great compared with other kits, and was pretty solid construction and soldering. Can't complain about that. Smile

If this is your first amp, I would recommend building a dim-bulb tester. I did it with maybe $15 in parts from the hardware store and can send you pics of how I did it. Someone here (I think tangelolemon) told me to do just that, and it was pretty sound advice...

Basically, you run a lightbulb in series with your amp, so if the amp has a short, the light gets VERY bright (i.e., takes the full load). If the amp is okay, it will be much dimmer. This way, you protect your amp parts if something's off, or you have some confidence that you've done it right.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck - let us know how it sounds! What's the plan for the box?
kbaker2002de

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into the bulb testor. Thank you.

The box I think I will keep it pretty simple, I have built a couple Greenboy designs and I don't think this is going to be much different. I'll probably mount the controls top and rear on the head, similar to how the layout would be on a combo amp. That will protect the amp and the tubes while also providing the room and access to work on them. Otherwise, go easy and use a duratex coating, and I might use my personal favorite nice marroon grill cloth. It's kind of my signature for amps and cabinets so far.

I am also thinking of building a BFM XF 212 cabinet (or might do 210 instead) with a pair of Weber signature's to use with the amp, especially since I can change impedence now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: