The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telecaster Color Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
butnut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe. I'm a Schwinn nut so I sprayed my Strat in Schwinn Kandy Lime Green. I use the pints but rattle cans are sold too. Kinda spendy but they are nice kandies. With all kandies, you can stop when you have the desired tone. I went a hair darker on this green, but a light lime can be achieved. I used his silver aluminum base which I think has micro silver flecks...don't remember. I shot poly clear with HOK Aztek gold pearl mixed in. Not really a Fender color but a kool green kandy.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/43795740/49448565HFJLan
Here's the Schwinn guys site with paints.
http://www.Hyper-Formance.com/paints.htm
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great looking. I'd like to go a little darker. Shoot more, thats all. Can that be shot with clear nitro for the top coat? Thanks for the great link. Cool

Do you have idea of what campus green looks like? It's one of thier colors listed. Thanks
Grink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Grink. What did you use for your silver base?

I started by using Bill's Inca Silver. I did a great deal of screwing up, needed more silver, and ran to a hardware store and bought Rustoleum Premium Metallic. I guess that means it's a custom color.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Just so ya know Im really leaning on the candy green finish on the tele project. It has me so intrigued Im pricing all the hardware in gold. The only bad thing is it will probably cost me more than the whole kit. Rolling Eyes
butnut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grink...I thought that looked a little flakey Smile
Hey Joe...where ya going with that (spray) gun in your hand...Sorry, Jimi just came over me. Laughing The Schwinn paints are acrylic lacquer. Not sure, but I've been reading about problems with nitro over acrylic. NAPA has those huge can of acrylic clear lacquer (Pro-Line?) with is their own line and it's real good stuff for rattle can. It buffs out nicely too. I'd use that. Campus green is a kandy that's more olive green..one of Schwinns 'ugly' colors IMO, but correct for certain year Sting-Rays.
Don't feel bad, I always get in trouble by finding a 'cheap body'...then get in trouble by looking for the right neck, pickups, bridge... Wink
stike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say thumbs up on the Schwinn rattle can kandy 'cause I don't think you'll find trans green in a can anywhere. You can make your own( Trans Tints, HOK Kandy Koncentrate, etc ) but you'll have a load of material leftover.
Personally I dig trans green over metallic gold and if you can swing it add a little green to the metallic base too. It'll look nice and extry green as we say down south without lessening the metallic base. It also makes the kandy coats easier to put on, they can look streaky if you're not careful.
I wouldn't worry about shooting nitro over acrylic, just let it set a spell( day or so) before you start clearing.
butnut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up stike...kandy koppertone is my fave Schwinn color. 2 of my bikes are painted in this (my 24" cruiser has a metalflake base) and my Tele has it on the top...sides and back are same color with more coats.

Das Bus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really sweet! Pun intended Wink
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can use the clear nitro over the Schwinn paint? Awesome! Cool
Happy New Year! Very Happy

I've also been looking at Auto Air Colors at www.autoaircolors.com and I have emailed them. They have said that this waterbased paint can be used with clear nitro. Has anyone ever used this stuff before with nitro and had success? Can and does Bill offer custom colors in nitro in spray can or for spray gun use?
The reason I'm asking is because I am exploring the idea further for the green. Auto Air has a metallic hot rod sparkle green that needs a dark base coat that they sell. I didn't want a uerethane clear coat finish, which is what they recommend is best suited for their paint but they claim nitro should be fine. I'm still very new at this and am kinda bleedin'you guys for knowledge so I apologize for anything ignorant sounding. Embarassed
docbass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kinda late, but I love a 3 color burst tele witha tort guard. Just might have to make one myself some day!
stike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally haven't used The Auto Air but I know they are mostly used by airbrush airtists who subcontract out their clear coating and it is designed to work under catalyzed urethanes so I cant imagine why it wouldn't work under nitro too since I'm sure it works under acrylic lac. too.
As for the dark base they recomend I'd be willing to bet Reranch black will work fine but practice on some scrap just to be sure.
butnut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the AutoAir link. I have heard that water-based is getting really big with the graphics guys. I emailed them as I'm hoping I can get their product past all the haz-mat poop they put on paint products shipped to the islands. I have a auto touch up biz and bring in my paints from Washington...for a box of paints (1oz bottles) and misc stuff...I pay 300 bucks! Just for shipping! More than the cost of products! Evil or Very Mad The UPS guy carries it off his truck like just another box (size of a small amp) and that's it...I feel robbed watching him drive off. Lacquer is getting expensive (even the Schwinn stuff has gone up) and only one paint shop here will even carry lacquer, so I'm hoping this will be the ticket...I always thought of water-based paints like water colors...I may have to jump on the new-school wagon. At least my lungs will be happier, except for the poly clear coat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: