The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amber tone/amber sunburst
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybee111

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Amber tone/amber sunburst Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I have been building stringed instruments from kits for about 10 years. I am currently building a 000-28 Martin kit for a friend and he would like an amber tone top as pictured below. I have never done a sunburst but I think with a little practice I can achieve the desired result. What I need help on is choosing the correct dye/toner colors. Anybody tried this and can give my some suggestions and tips? Thanks in advance for the help.

jaybee111

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, nobody? No opinions or suggestions?
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why nobody's replied - I've seen some beautiful bursts here. I'm no help at all, though. Reranch sunburst aerosols are more geared to Fender-style finishing. Maybe check Stewmac?
jaybee111

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks clevername. I'll check StewMac. There's lots of youtube videos showing how to do a "standard" black to amber burst but I haven't seen anything showing how to do an amber tone. I'm really looking for suggestions on what colors to use and technique to use.
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/ColorTone_Tinted_Aerosol_Guitar_Lacquer.html

The Red Mahogany is very brown, more so than it is red. Light passes over the Amber will do what you're looking for.

This has a bit of Cherry Red on the upper bouts, but it's mostly Red Mahogany.

jaybee111

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Thanks marksound! That looks like it may be the ticket! Did you spray amber toner over the whole top first?
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't finished. It is just the color coats. The base color is Garnet Shellac. Then I did a build of that color for a burst. Did a coat of gloss nitro followed by an edge of medium brown/amber burst.

This is actually the first time I have used the Garnet Shellac. I really love the color.

Ladyfinisher
tnt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing sunbursts with water based dyes from Stew mac. I find it to be more forgiving, and easier to get a natural looking transition as opposed to spraying.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Colors_and_Tints_and_Stains/ColorTone_Liquid_Stains.html

For what you are looking at, I would do the vintage amber in the vintage amber in teh center and then a mix of vintage amber and medium brown for teh edges.

Here is one recently stained, waiting to get finished in either Nitro or True-Oil - haven't decided yet:

https://i.imgur.com/NOzufiB.jpg?1

(Can't seem to paste pics in from imgur? )

[img]http://i.imgur.com/NOzufiBh.jpg?1[/img]

here it is with shellac - seems like once you resize an image, you can't imbed it...

Last edited by tnt on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the imgure you need to copy and past the one that says it's for bulletin boards. I use the large thumbnail size.

I generally add a drop of medium brown to my vintage amber. I think the vintage amber is really harsh when used straight.

Love that body. What was the color you used for the sandback on the grain? Really nice color on that body.

Ladyfinisher
tnt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladyfinisher wrote:
To get the imgure you need to copy and past the one that says it's for bulletin boards. I use the large thumbnail size.

I generally add a drop of medium brown to my vintage amber. I think the vintage amber is really harsh when used straight.

Love that body. What was the color you used for the sandback on the grain? Really nice color on that body.

Ladyfinisher

Thanks.

It's red mahogany applied, and sanded back twice.
jaybee111

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ladyfinisher and tnt.

How are you applying the dye, tnt, and are you mixing with water?
tnt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybee111 wrote:

I use water, but others use alcohol.

I learned the technique from a video on Fine Woodworking, but looks like it's behind a paywall now.

You make up about a a dozen little cotton rag balls - I wrap a piece of cloth around a cotton ball.

Wet whole piece down.
Start with the dark edge, make it thinner than you want the final band to be.
Then, new rag ball, do the center, lightest color moving inside out.

When you hit the dark band, be careful - the rag ball you use will carry that dark color with it now. that's why you need so many of them.

Then using the two colors, and water, you just kind of rub and blend, using new rag balls often, until you like it.
jaybee111

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on the stewmac site and it looks like this will give me the results I am looking for but I'm a bit confused.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Colors_and_Tints_and_Stains/ColorTone_Antique_Sunburst_Spray_Set.html

It includes Vintage Amber and Aged Clear. Not sure where the brown/red tint on the edges comes from with just Amber and Clear. Does the buildup of the Amber on the edges give the brown/red tint?
jaybee111

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why this popped up again. Originally posted December 19. Question

Last edited by jaybee111 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better late than never.

That is garnet shellac sprayed. Then I layered it thicker on the outside edge for more depth of color. A coat of clear nitro. Then a real narrow nitro burst of vintage amber and medium brown mixture.

Ladyfinisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: