The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffing Arbor build

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> FAQ's, Jigs & Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Buffing Arbor build Reply with quote

pt1:
I'll summarize mine:

I use the Arbor plus:

2x: http://www.grizzly.com/products/g3146
8x: http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-x-16-Ply-Final-Finishing-Buffy/H5767
1x Grainger Supply motor (I recommend the 1/2 hp as a minimum) http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2FGP8&op=search&Ntt=2FGP8&N=0&sst=subset

pt2:
Well I thought I'd update this, did some reworking on my arbor today. Since I switched to acrylic I learned the hard way that I needed to slow the buffer down some, I was getting checking from the heat generated at the speed it was running. There we're other contributing factors but I always wished I could slow the buffer down another 1-200 rpm but was limited on the pulley sizes. I've also been wanting to move up to the 17" wheels to get some more access inside the horns.

The problem was moving to 17" wheels would increase the tip speed. I did some math (thank you google) and was coming up with the following:

Figuring a motor RPM of 1750 shaft speed (current motor) of ~900 rpm:

Tip speed of a 14" wheel: 55 feet per second
Tip speed of a 17" wheel: 66.7333333 feet per second

If we could get the motor to 1200 rpm figuring a 1:2 reduction in rpm (~600rpm)
Tip speed of a 14" wheel: 36.6666667 feet per second
Tip speed of a 17" wheel: 44.44 feet per second

So I did some looking around, thinking I could add a layshaft to add an extra pulley to help slow things down. The problem with this was lots of added parts, most likely rebuilding the station all together ect. Then started looking at DC motors with controllers but we're talking big bucks (1k+).

Finally I just dug deep through the Grainger catalog and came up with the PERFECT motor. Here's the link to Grainger. 100 bucks and even though I ordered this one it actually was a 1/2hp which is even better.

So besides having a shaft RPM of 1100 vs 1750 (HUGE improvement right there) it also had a 1/2" shaft instead of a 5/8". I found an 1.5" pulley to fit which helps slow it even more.

Now I have 2 arbor speeds that seem to work very effectively, using a 1.5" pulley and the middle 3" pulley on the arbor Im getting 550rpm and on the 4" pulley Im getting 415rpm.

So recalculating tip speed:
@ 415 rpm: 30.8 FPS
@ 550 rpm: 41 FPS

both of which are just about perfect it seems like. So those of you using a similar setup I'd seriously consider this motor!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> FAQ's, Jigs & Tools All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: