The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really appreciate some help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgman45

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Really appreciate some help Reply with quote

Hi all, im a 14 yr old player from PA. I am need of a little help, I own an SG , just a simple epiphone special, it only cost me 150 bucks. Now a small crack has developed near the input. This was my 1st guitar and it is very dear to me and i wish to fix this crack. Now i know i could either fix the body only or refinish the whole guitar (which i would like to do since i want to chaneg the color from a black to cherry)

Please private message me with some possible prices it would cost me to refinish this guitar, will the price change whether it be only the body or including the neck. And is it worth it, or should i just let it go and eventually buy a new guitar, because i love this guitar very dearly. Thank you for your help.

Message me back, thanks.

~Ryan
willett

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, dont worry bout the crack. if its just in the finish it is part of the guitar's soul. It shows other players that you can really let the led out.

here is stevie ray vaugn's fave axe

DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Paul Clark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't ever feel bad about "only" playing a (insert brand name here). Instruments vary, there are always some sweet special ones made on a good day, or which have had exceptional setup care, or played with love, and it doesn't matter the brand. Likewise there are some big name instruements that are duds for one reason or another.

a lot of the reason cheaper guitars are less good is they havne't had the attention and care- and some of those things are things you can do yourself- lavish the care on rubbing out your finish, for example, and you will get a finish worthy of a custom shop guitar. So don't feel bad if you didn't pay the big bucks but put the extra quality in yourself!

One piece of advice- if you like your instruement, don't ever EVER part with it, because if you do you will always regret it. How many of us can look back at guitars if only we'd kept? it's easy on a bad day to think you weerre wrong to ever love it. trust me, when you are old and grey and rich, no money will be able to match teh satisfaction of still having that favorite axe you started on so many years ago.

as far as the crack- is it a crack in the finish, or is the wood cracked and split? there are different things you can do to fix either one, and some cracks may or may not need repair. if you can give us details or post a picture (shout if you need help with that) we can give advice how you might proceed.

I think it's awesome to get your hands on refinishing and repair and technical guitar stuff as young as possible- if you're smart enough to want to do it, that's all that counts!
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't vote but viewed the results and most here have voted for Fender. I love my Fender P but for the PRS and Gretch guitars getting no voted boggles the mind. I'd say the best is what you think is the best. I have many guitars from - an ESP Viper SG , Aria ProII LP, Ibanez, Washburn, and my home made strat and PJ bass. I have to say that my strat plays as well if not better than some or many production axes. And my PJ bass I built is simply awesome and p[lays as well but differently from my Fender P bass. Not because I built them but because I built them with me in mind. So far one of my favorites in the Aria LP copy, plays and sounds great but sounds totally different and feels totally different than my strat.

So, there is no real answer to your poll, its whatever is comfortable in your hands and pleasing to your ears. There are many stories here about bad experiences from Gibson, Fender, etc. etc. doesn't mean that one is better than the next.
Straydog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC is right...don't ever get rid of your first axe, or any for that matter. I don't have an outstanding collection (I have 7 and a couple are junk) but I have every guitar I ever bought, never got rid of any. I'm an old guy now, 57. Got my first cheap Kent when I was 17. My next one was a '63 Duo-Sonic, I got it in 1966 and I love that guitar. But I screwed up big time. It was cool in the early 70's to customize gutars and I tore into the the Duo-Sonic, messed it up so bad that I just left it sit until this year. So now it's my project to restore it to original. But it will never be truly original (this is the part where I kick myself really hard). Someday you will be 57, and right now you just can't imagine the personal satisfaction you will get from bangin a few chords on something you've had all your life. Your on the right track to be thinkin of what to do. My advice (for what it's worth) is don't do anything to your guitar that will be other that maintenance. Sure someday you might refret or new pegs, but I'd leave it the way it is. Play it till you can afford another one, and you will be able to afford another someday. But please don't screw this one up. Good Luck!
Porter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeglow wrote:
So, there is no real answer to your poll, its whatever is comfortable in your hands and pleasing to your ears.

I second that thought. In my humble opinion guitars are a personal item whose appeal and sound vary depending on who is playing it, you'll know you have it right when you pick it up and put some notes through it because it will either talk to you or puke out such a bad vibe that you'll run from the room screaming! Laughing
Teletommy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Straydog (and welcome!)

I'm 56 and started with a Silvertone (dual-lipstick pickups) with the amp in the case. I happened to go into a Guitar Center awhile back and what was in their display case - the same set I had in superior condition. Brought back a lot of memories!! I have a '68 Mosrite Celebrity in perfect shape. I really forgot about it as I went to college, got married, bought a house, and had kids. I only remembered when my daughter wanted to learn to play guitar and wanted it. That's when I bought a Saga kit for her and learned about Reranch. That Surf Green git started it. Over the years I've had a '72 Strat, a Japanese LP copy, a couple of P-basses, and a variety of amps. Right now it's a Line 6 - Spider 212 which is OK. I really miss my Fender Bassman my wife sold on me at one of her garage sales!! Good to have you on board.
LWK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just outside Detroit, where the weak are killed and eaten!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

LOL
Micter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't vote because I have just about anything you could imagine as far as guitars go. I have to say I like Carvin's, Gibson's, Fender's, etc.. for different reasons. To say one brand is "better" than another isn't possible for me.

Here's a good example, I have a gig tonight and I'll bring one of my Gibson V's, my Epiphone DOT, a Strat, and my Carvin bolt plus. I'll end up playing all of 'em too!
KorinaKorina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14? I have socks older than you are! Welcome sgman! You will learn over time that what is best is what fits you at the time. Tele's have twang, Strats can sing, SG's can howl and Les Paul's can ring.... ohhh! I made a lyric!

Anyway, every guitar has it's own voice. Listen to Eric Clapton on a Strat, listen to Dickie Betts on a Les Paul (listen to the tone on "Sweet Melissa" - BB King on an ES - guitars have wonderful voices that will fit your mood at any given time.

BUT - in the end, it's always the player. Practice. Jeff Beck could make a rubber band on a cigar box sound better than me on a thousand dollar guitar. It's the player - it's the player - it's the player.

Keep the Epi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: