The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Union Jack Amps!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one I have now.... The 45 JTM/Plexi... which is a dual rectifier JTM45 that covers 60's and 70's Marshall tone.

To expand on the natural distortion scale, I am having Derek build the 2204 TW... which is a Marshall 2204 with a Train Wreck modded circuit to take it over the top. But it does cleans just as pure as anything... just using the volume knob on the guitar. Something that just don't happen with any amp I have ever had....
Johnson82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Johnson82 wrote:
I know he spends a lot of time over on the Weber forums. I think he gets quite a few parts from there. Most of their stuff is pretty good for the money (especially the iron - many even perfer Weber to the pricier brands).

Saw he updated his site about a month ago. Looks pretty awesome now! Cool

Derek doesn't use Weber parts in his amps. The Iron is from Chicago Magnetic Components. The best iron out there is you ask me. No hype just tone. He states what he uses in the Specs area.... all top shelf.

As far as opening the amps up... They only get better and better with volume! Very Happy I'm not sure how he is recording them but I'm sure clipping the mic might be a problem.... Laughing

Sorry for the confusion. I'd checked him out from a couple years ago when he (at least appeard to) get Weber kits. I just remember checking him out when you mentioned the beast he made for you a while back. Wink Either way, he still contributes a fair amount over there. It's a pretty neat board to visit. Not nearly as much traffic as here, but I like to poke in and listen to a bunch of guys that know a ton more than me. Kinda like a board full of Structos, tangelolemons, and lopathys. Laughing
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
guilds100

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince

Have you heard any clips of the trainwreck? I can't find any on his site.
Vince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... he's a self-admitted tech head. He says that the conversation on the Weber Board is allot more technical than most and that's why he is a regular on there. Derek has lots of suppliers but Weber isn't one of them. Sozo, Juniper, Chicago Magnetics, Lopo etc....
Vince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the TW... http://www.youtube.com/user/unionjackamps#p/u/5/tD2qrvrvao0

NO PEDALS... Just pure amp!
guilds100

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good. I think you'll be pleased with it. I was afraid it was going to sound like the trainwreck I built. It was too earpiecing for my taste.
Vince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started the journey of hand built amps... (I really don't want to build one myself since I have way way too many projects already)

I went with a Ceritone Silver Jubilee.... now you think that would sound awesome. Well... it sounded like chit. No offense against Nik but I would have to say that it was not built with tone in mind... at least it wasn't QC'd for sound. I was very disappointed at that point with handbuilt amps thinking that there are allot of builders that may not be fully qualified IMO to be building amplifiers for players.

Then I happen to contact Derek about the 45.... It was so much easier for me to communicate with Derek and he was using components that I would use if I was to build an amplifier. So, I put down my deposit and within a few weeks, it was ready to ship. I was beside myself on the tone. He hand picked to NOS tubes and tweaked it to get an unbelieveable tone. All the way to 10. I honestly stared at it for 10-15 minutes not believing what was coming out of the speakers.

Derek and I worked on the Dual Rectifier option on the 45... It was my idea and he implimented it flawlessly. Laughing What a great non-tone sucking option. It really puts you in Plexi territory....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Laughing
guilds100

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see you werent perminetly scared away from hand built amps with the bad luck you had with ceriatone. I've heard quite a few of them on you tube and wasn't overly impressed. When I decided to built my own amp, I found that different types of resister, caps and such had alot to do with the sound. Many amps are built to spec, but not built for sound. I like to use carbon film resisters and sozo tone caps in marshall builds to get the optimal sound. The nos tubes don't hurt either. Below is a pic of a couple of amps I've built. The upper left is built to jtm45 specs with made in michigan heyboer transformers and nos recitifier. If you look real close you can see nos carbon comps in select places. To the right is a plexi 50, my first amp, which is similar to yours minus the tube rectifier. It has a mercury magnets output tranny. Below is a trainwreck express build. It has custom trannys built for that application, but you'll notice the orange drop caps in that one and the cheep weber power caps which are some of the phony ones the weber puchased that arent up to spec. That may be the main reason that amp sounds so bad. I have good power caps and the correct signal caps but never got around to installing them as i wasnt impressed with that amp at all. I should give it any shot as it will be easy to get it up to spec. From what I can see on the innereds of the union jack amps, he is using about the best parts you can get to make a marshall sound good.

RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig_ wrote:
Vince wrote:
I'm not sure how he is recording them but I'm sure clipping the mic might be a problem.... Laughing

I was unimpressed with the sound clip that opened with the site. I'm not questioning the quality of his builds or materials, but I thought it sounded pretty 'choked'.

Maybe I'm too much of a Blackface fan to know a good sounding Marshall clone if it bit me on the ass Very Happy
I'm not sure which amp is on the opening clip on Union Site, but that's why I emphasize that his amp clips should be where he crank the master volume, or volume (non-master) then you really hear that Marshall Mojo!

Vince, remember that Marshall Super Lead 1959 clip you post a while back? I'm pretty sure Union Plexi could do that amp tone. Its that these amps as well as many other amp clips on boutique sites and YouTube has to be opened up the volume and get the power tube saturation.

AND POWER TUBE SATURATION IS NOT THAT FARTY TONE LIKE ONE MEMBER CLAIMED (another forum).
Vince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, I can do that sound clip for him! I am not the best guitarist in the world but I think I could demo some sweet amp tone...

I will ask him... I know that power tube saturation... It gives the amp a slight variation in taste... like adding a little sugar on top of your oatmeal. Still tastes the same but better! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: