The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Union Jack Amps!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Union Jack Amps! Reply with quote

Another plug for Derek and his wizardry.... the man know British tone!

Check out his new site... http://www.unionjackamps.com/#/welcome

I got another amp on order.... Cool

If have an incline that you think you might want to go this way... let me know and I might be able to get you a great deal on one.

These are not your cheap throw away amps... they will last you a lifetime.

Check them out of facebook too... Molly Hatchet just recently used his amps in concert. Pretty cool!

**EDIT**

I sound like a damn advertisement. I just really dig his work. Cheaper than Metro amps and really have great tone.... just sayin' Laughing
Johnson82

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he spends a lot of time over on the Weber forums. I think he gets quite a few parts from there. Most of their stuff is pretty good for the money (especially the iron - many even perfer Weber to the pricier brands).

Saw he updated his site about a month ago. Looks pretty awesome now! Cool
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
Who?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased one of his 45s. I liked it so much I asked him to fix a JTM 45 clone I had from another builder. He made it sound great too Very Happy . He does excellent work at reasonable prices.
dknight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, his prices have doubled! I had checked out his original site when Vince ordered his JTM45 and was posting the build pics. Sweet sounding amps though.
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell ya what though... you may know that I have been through a TON of amps in the last few years... Ain't nothing comes remotely close to these amps. They are really special... They are quiet as a mouse, even with the gain dimed!

I am going with a 2 step setup... JTM45 for my 60's and 70's tone and his TW for the higher gain stuff. I can't wait to get it! Derek was working on his new TW when he was building my 45 and sent me clips of it.... just heavenly harmonic bliss....

Never doubt the tone of of a well laid out, quality built amp. Forget what is in GC... it ain't going to compare!
headstack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
I'll tell ya what though... you may know that I have been through a TON of amps in the last few years... Ain't nothing comes remotely close to these amps. They are really special... They are quiet as a mouse, even with the gain dimed!

I am going with a 2 step setup... JTM45 for my 60's and 70's tone and his TW for the higher gain stuff. I can't wait to get it! Derek was working on his new TW when he was building my 45 and sent me clips of it.... just heavenly harmonic bliss....

Never doubt the tone of of a well laid out, quality built amp. Forget what is in GC... it ain't going to compare!
Forget what's in GC? Crying or Very sad But but, they have some sweet solid state stuff there and it distorts like mad with my super duper distortion pedals dude...
Don't tell me where to get my amps Evil or Very Mad Laughing
Yeah man, that Tweed is tasty *drool*, and I liked the Studios for little tykes.
You wouldn't know if they get loud and clean would you Vince?
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek can tweak them to get it any way you want....
guilds100

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll enjoy that jtm45. Of the amps I've built, that is my favorite. Mine was so quiet i thought it was broke as I heard no hiss. I finally plugged in a guitar to double check and was hit with the wall of sound that I was looking for forever. That amp is all tone, period. I've also built a trainwreck as well.
RolandR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dknight wrote:
Man, his prices have doubled! I had checked out his original site when Vince ordered his JTM45 and was posting the build pics. Sweet sounding amps though.
Yeah, but there was no-way he could afford those original prices. I was wonder if he was making any kind of profit for those prices.

And even his new prices now are reasonable compared to other boutique amp builders.

I sure would like to hear clips where he's driving the power tubes. Sounds like the his clip recordings he's playing them a 'low volume' more preamp gain.
headstack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
dknight wrote:
Yeah, but there was no-way he could afford those original prices. I was wonder if he was making any kind of profit for those prices.

And even his new prices now are reasonable compared to other boutique amp builders.

I sure would like to hear clips where he's driving the power tubes. Sounds like the his clip recordings he's playing them a 'low volume' more preamp gain.
I agree...
Nothing like opening it up and driving the BIG valves.
That is the sound I really dig!
It would kind of be cool to have a 75-100 watt channel for clean and a 30 watt channel with a stepped control where you could add 12AX7's in cascade fashion as you like.
This one really does go to 11 Idea
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson82 wrote:
I know he spends a lot of time over on the Weber forums. I think he gets quite a few parts from there. Most of their stuff is pretty good for the money (especially the iron - many even perfer Weber to the pricier brands).

Saw he updated his site about a month ago. Looks pretty awesome now! Cool

Derek doesn't use Weber parts in his amps. The Iron is from Chicago Magnetic Components. The best iron out there is you ask me. No hype just tone. He states what he uses in the Specs area.... all top shelf.

As far as opening the amps up... They only get better and better with volume! Very Happy I'm not sure how he is recording them but I'm sure clipping the mic might be a problem.... Laughing
Craig_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Vince"]
Johnson82 wrote:
I'm not sure how he is recording them but I'm sure clipping the mic might be a problem.... Laughing

I was unimpressed with the sound clip that opened with the site. I'm not questioning the quality of his builds or materials, but I thought it sounded pretty 'choked'.

Maybe I'm too much of a Blackface fan to know a good sounding Marshall clone if it bit me on the ass Very Happy
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how those were recorded... Derek had a buddy come over and play his amps... Derek recorded the session. I believe through a camcorder or something of that quality. It was not a "Produced" piece.

What I do know is that first hand experience with the JTM45 is inspiring to say the very least about it. You will never get the full tone or experience through computer speakers.
Vince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 8 demo's of his various amps... remember these are not Pro Demo's. Derek is still a small time builder but we know what happens to small time builders... they get bigger! Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/user/unionjackamps

Listen to the 45 Clean... and then the 45 JTM/Plexi .... that is switching from tube to solid state rectifiers. Very cool!!!!
guilds100

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince

Is the amp your getting the first one that shows up on the youtube links?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: