The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reworked Blues Jr. - Better than expected results!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reworked Blues Jr. - Better than expected results! Reply with quote

In the past I've had some experience with DIY amp kits that supposedly do many things to improve your already 'good' amp.

I recently picked up a US made Fender Blues Jr. for a great price and after reading many reviews on some of Bill M's modifications, decided to try a few out. (Basic Kit, Pre-Amp mod, Re-Cap Kit, Switchcraft input Jack, Twin-Stack mod)

The directions for the various modifications were documented fairly well - I did find myself asking a few questions along the way so I may email Bill on that. If he can copy\paste and update his docs so others won't run into the same thing that would be helpful all around I'm sure.

Anyway - I've killed pedals before after breaking them open trying to make them better - Testing after each major component change was something I fully intended to do this time. With a good iron, a solder sucker, and some de-solder braid every joint I touched was perfect... no need to test... just kept going.

Based on each joint being perfect, no lifted pads, and minimal questions that were eventually answered, I completed all the mods and everything fired up the first time through.

Re-biasing the amp was a little beyond my comfort area, but I took the necessary electrical precautions and it worked out great.

More bass, shimmering clean tones, deeper reverb, less hiss, more clean headroom, stronger attack & overall more Punch - Plus it still sounds like a Blues Jr! just a better Blues Jr. than before Smile

If anyone has considered working on their own Blues Jr. and has wondered about some modifications you can make to these little amps, I'll vouch for Bill's kits. I've never met him and am not getting kicked back in any way, just sharing some good news and good results. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: