The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My New Creation, wiring Fixed, one more question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Strat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: My New Creation, wiring Fixed, one more question... Reply with quote

OK, Here is the project I have been working on all summer. It is my son's 1993 Ibanez RG570 that used to be mine in the early 90's. It was a metallic blue and was in great condition when I owned it. The guy I sold it to gave it to my son about 3 years ago and it was a mess. I needed to use Qwick Wood to fill in some deep chips. The finish was shot.

Well, I wanted to surprise my son with a refin and this is the result. It is right up his alley. I used Dulicolor for the red and whit and a few cans of Watco clear. The Neck is Tru-Oil. I left it natural to match the back. The finish is purposely not perfect. I wanted it to look like it is from the late 80's early 90's, so it is a slight relic. I have a few minor sand throughs and some polishing scratches and a few places that are not even real shiny. I did get it to look like water with 3M Hand Glaze. It was just too clean for this guitar. I am very happy with the results.

The problem that I am having now is with the electronics. He has a late 80's Dimarzio Mega Zone in the neck, the stock single coil middle and a Seymour Duncan Head Hunter in the Bridge. His friend wired it up for him and it sounded terrible. I am now trying to wire it up and I cannot find anything to help me. I cannot even find a schematic for this year from Ibanez. What I do see has two caps and this guitar only has one. Any thoughts? Please help, I am moving 150 miles away from him in a week or so and I want to give it to him before I leave. Thanks again for all your help...Dean

Last edited by 74 Strat on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Plaid Sabbath

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean...the guitar looks cool.

I'm not a wiring expert, but I thought the color codes were different for Duncans and DiMarzios.

The Duncan diagram...
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=HSH_1v_1t_5w

i'm sure someone will clarify the wiring differences. Looks like the Duncan diagram only uses one cap.
74 Strat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that will help with the Duncan. Even in this diagram there are two caps. Maybe it needs two that may be why it sounded so weak.

Also, I can see in the photos while viewing on my wife's laptop that I have some smudges on the left side. I probably would have wiped it down before taking the photos. Maybe I will after I am done putting this thing back together.

Oh, this is the neck that I was thinking of shooting the white Duplicolor over the TO...Dean
74 Strat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, I really need help with the wiring of this guitar. Thanks...Dean

Very Happy
top_cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know If you've seen this one, I think It's the original Jem, you would just need to get the hot and ground on the duncan the same as the Dimarzio bucker.
This one only uses 1 cap.

I cant really offer any advice, I'm working on three Ibanez projects but I haven't got to the wiring stage on any yet . Ask me in a couple of months and I'll be an expert Laughing

74 Strat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the diagram. Looks easy enough. My son's guitar has a 5-way switch where everything is in a straight row, not with lugs on two sides. Will it be the same? Thanks...dean
kojdogg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something that will help with the import 5 way:
http://www.alloutput.com/Wiring/5way.html
74 Strat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still having trouble, the thing is not switching in the right order and is buzzing real bad. Maybe I need to look at the Duncan and Dimarzio sites...Dean
Structo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean, make sure you have the two output wires correct on the output jack.
If these get reversed it will cause a loud buzz no matter what switch setting.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
74 Strat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
Dean, make sure you have the two output wires correct on the output jack.
If these get reversed it will cause a loud buzz no matter what switch setting.

Thanks Tom, I'll give it shot...Dean
74 Strat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I fixed it. The problem is that the jack is broken internally. Still cuts in and out, but at least I know what it is. There is no more buzzing and it sounds incredible. My problem now is that the Duncan Head Hunter in the bridge is weak in the 4th position on the 5 way, where it should be the middle/bridge combo. It is also thin sounding. Should this be wired some other way? Can I raise one sided on the humbucker? The Dimarzio in the neck is awesome. anyway, thanks for all your help...Dean
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thin/weak when pickups are combined usually means they're out of phase.

DiMarzios and Duncans are wired backwards from each other. Obviously, you can get around it. The problem you're going to have is with the middle pickup. It's going to be a match for either the DiM or the SD, but not both.

No idea how to fix it ...
74 Strat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the problem. The way it is wired now the Dimarzio sounds great in both positions...Dean
top_cat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you've just about cracked It, I've been doing a bit more searching for a couple of guitars I'm working on and came across this page http://www.shredguitars.com/showthread.php?t=31910
Thought I'd post It anyway there's some good diagrams.
74 Strat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of great info there. Thanks, I'll have to save the page...Dean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: