The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really Frustrated. Need Help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Strat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Really Frustrated. Need Help... Reply with quote

You guys might remember that last month I got a 60's Strat pickguard with 73 electronics with one of the pickups being a 1971l The 71 was putting out about 4k. It was real bassy and muddy. I sent it in to get repaired or rewound. The guy sent me back the pickup saying that one of the leads was the issue and that now it just under 6k. I was very happy.

Anyway, I got the pickup back and metered it and it was just as he said. I put it back on the guitar and it still sounded terrible. I metered it in the guitar and it was 4k. After playing around I noticed that if I unscrew the pickup screws to lower the pickup the reading goes up. The less tension on the pickup the better it is. Tighten the screws to raise the pickups and the reading goes back down. So, I took the pickup off and noticed that if I bend the bobbin the reading changes. What can I do to fix this? Thanks...Dean
sonicblue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't measure pickups when they are in the circuit, you can only get the correct reading when they are completely disconnected.

As for the reading don't take it too literally. The resistance will even change slightly with the temperature and humidity, etc. This is normal.
74 Strat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took everything out of the circuit and I am getting the same results. The middle and bridge are in the 5.8k range. The neck is anywhere between 4k and 5.8k depending on how I flex the bobbin. When I put the screws into the pickguard and pickup cover it causes a little flexing. The higher the pickup the lower the reading. The volume is also very low.

Oh, I rewired it so the neck pickup would be in the bridge position for the 3 way switch and tone pot and it did nothing. The middle pickup worked perfectly in the neck position. Not sure what is wrong with the pickup, but something bad is going on...Dean
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.curtisnovak.com
jkats

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. I had an early 70s Tele bridge pickup that did exactly the same thing -- its output changed with flexing, and generally was 1/2 to 2/3 the normal output. I sent it to Curtis Novak, thinking he was going to have to rewind the pickup, but he was able to salvage it by just taking off a wrap or two and resoldering the lead.
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call, e-mail the person the worked on your pickup that you want an actual rewound because now you are getting false reading or intermittent readings. And explain why.

As marksound suggested Curtis Novaks, he'll wound your pickups with the same wire during that era. He did with my '74 Strat set.

I know you mentioned this person that worked on your pickup will do the same wire but just sayin'.
74 Strat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
call, e-mail the person the worked on your pickup that you want an actual rewound because now you are getting false reading or intermittent readings. And explain why.

As marksound suggested Curtis Novaks, he'll wound your pickups with the same wire during that era. He did with my '74 Strat set.

I know you mentioned this person that worked on your pickup will do the same wire but just sayin'.

I sent the pickup back to him today. When I first sent it he was planning on rewind it using the original wire. When he got it he said he resoldered one of the leads and now it is almost 6k. He will either rewind it or fix it using the same wire. We want to keep it as close to original as possible. I guess the current plain enamel wire that is on the market today is slightly different in color. It is a little more red and not as dark and purple. We will see what happens...Dean
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that's why I suggest you e-mail or phone him. I'm sure he wasn't aware its an intermittent problem.
74 Strat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
Cool, that's why I suggest you e-mail or phone him. I'm sure he wasn't aware its an intermittent problem.

He told me that he was sending it back but if I had a problem he will fix it for free. So, it has issues so it went back.

I had him make me a reproduction 70s set about 2 years ago and they were awesome...Dean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: