The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding an LED to a Tone Bender clone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
power chord hack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Adding an LED to a Tone Bender clone? Reply with quote

I have an early version of a Bone Bender & I want to add an LED power indicator.
I know how to do it (i.e. how to wire it) but I don't know enough about the circuit & the germaniums (with their pos ground) to know if it'll mess w/ the tone or fry the transistors.

All it involves is adding the LED between an unused lug on the 3PDT and ground. So by doing this I THINK all that'll happen to the Bender circuit is it'll get a drain of a few mA from the LED.

What I'm worried about is:
1) I've heard the germaniums are way sensitive little buggers & by altering the current I'll make it sound like crap.
2) I'll create some funky ground loop & zap the germaniums.

This is essentially what I'm doing:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/
The pedal is already wired thus w/ the bypass so I's just be adding that LED.

So... ?
sonicblue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it. I think the LEDs are generally left out of the PNP/germanium designs because they are primarily powered on batteries and no LED = longer life.

The LED (+ current limiting resistor) will be between +9V and the switch/-9V, not in the signal path, so no tonal issues per se (unless you are really paranoid about the current draw).

I think you only need to worry about blowing the germaniums if you were to plug in the wrong polarity power supply. (Rocking out in the Arizona desert with 120+ degree weather might do it too -- not sure! Laughing ) A good design should also have a failsafe diode in there to protect the transistors from reverse polarity.

Ground loops, not to worry, that's a different issue.
power chord hack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
Thanks

OK - another question...
Do you think one of these would work w/ the PNP?

I assume it should work since it should have the same polarity as a 9V...

EDIT: duh, just realized I can test the polarity with my meter. Rolling Eyes
sonicblue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to reverse the leads, otherwise :::boom:::! Laughing
Structo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall Analogman Mike telling me when I was talking to him about his Sunface Germanium fuzz pedal, he doesn't put a led on those for that reason. The extra current draw affects the tone so he doesn't install one.

You can try it to see what it does on your circuit, you may or may not like it.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: