The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What tele bridge pup for ROCK?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kstrat62

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: What tele bridge pup for ROCK? Reply with quote

I'm a strat guy, but I'm putting my 1st tele together and don't have a clue about what pups to use for a great rock guitar. I saw the Eagles last thurs and all their tele's sounded awesome! I also don't want to break the bank. thanks, K.
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to get a ton of opinions, so I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in first. Laughing

Vintage is the thing. Every Tele you hear on those classic recordings was an old one (well, back then they were closer to new Wink ).

Curtis Novak says:
Quote:
I believe a pickup should NOT be thought of in terms of output, but rather of input. The function of a pickup is to sense the string and send as wide of a tone band as possible to your rig.

The problem with an over-wound pickup is that the high and low tones fall off while the middle tones become over-emphasizedóresulting in a narrower tone band and a "one trick pony" guitar. This drastically limits your tone possibilities.

If it is overdrive and heavy mids that you want, you can easily get that from a pedal, when you NEED that tone leaving you free to explore other tones with your guitar.

With that in mind, if you're going to be using a lot of pedals, I think you'd want a hum-cancelling pickup. Curtis makes some interesting ones, and other companies have off-the-shelf offerings to fit any budget.

One of my favorites is the Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack. It sounds good for any style of music and won't break the bank.

The real key is to get the right combination of wood, pickups, and hardware. Even a guitar with all the "right" boutique parts can sound dull and lifeless. It can take some trial and error, but every once in a while, if you get lucky, you hit it out of the park the first time.
Craig_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my favorite guitars have Duncans in, though neither of those are traditional teles.

My favorite tele has a Van Zandt in the neck, and an OC Duff at the bridge. Boutique pickups that I bought cheap on ebay and in the classifieds at TDPRI. They sound twangy and juicy - due in part to a nice set of bridge saddles (I swear by Glendales, which are the one component that's consistent across all my telecasters).

In all honesty, it's been a good while since I heard a *bad* sounding aftermarket tele pickup. I've quit agonizing for the most part about pickups and focused on getting the right amp and trying to improve my playing.
shattered

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think simpler's better, but a stacked humbucker would give you a little more versatility.

Craig_ wrote:
In all honesty, it's been a good while since I heard a *bad* sounding aftermarket tele pickup. I've quit agonizing for the most part about pickups and focused on getting the right amp and trying to improve my playing.

Amen. My "beater" guitar currently has two Saga single coils, and a no-name humbucker from a Memphis, and they sound fine.

Jimmy Page got a huge sound out of his tele through playing technique, a Supro, and good mic placement.
ID Crisis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go with a humbucker, a Seymour Duncan Little '59 has a good PAF type tone. For a hotter output a Hot Rails for Tele does the trick.

Sticking with single coil a Hot Tele Lead pickup is a great choice.
Mr. Pumpkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Little '59 in my baritone Tele, with a push-pull pot for coil splitting. It's the best combo I've found for that guitar, but your mileage may vary since mine is a bari.
Kregg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, it really comes down to how you wire up a Tele. There are so many great Tele pickups made today, I'd hate to leave any one builder out. Still, I love Lollar Tele pickups. Cool
tab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for some tele pickups recently and I had some strange criteria -

I wanted a little single coil edge, tele twang, and the ability to dial in a nice bluesy tone as well.

I'm a Duncan fan but nothing in their lineup seemed to fit.
The stock MIM pickups were a bit flat -
I tried the Fralin Blues pickups and found a bit too much mud which was surprising...
The DiMarzio Twang King was looking good, and the True Velvet seemed to fit even better.

I ordered the True Velvet neck & bridge and couldn't be happier.
With online coupons I got both for less than $100 too Wink
kstrat62

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice! I agree with the "vintage" vibe, overwound pups just don't do it for me. I just want to get a decent pup in there and I think I'l be ok on the amp and pedal side of it.
Travst

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Slider's are exact replicas of '52 pickups. They work for me. With a 4-way switch, I can get quite a few different tones out of the guitar. It sounds fatter and gritter than my Strat with Duncans.
Home Grown Tele

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a really "hot" rock pickup in a Tele try the Duncan 1/4 Pounder! They absolutely scream!!
kstrat62

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing, what value cap should I use?
Structo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wired the tele with the P90's with 4 way switch.

I like the versatility of this scheme.

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_4wayinfo.html

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents, Rio Grande Muy Grande. Now those pickups has some serious fatness comparable to P90s. You could do the treble bleed get a reasonable Tele twang when rolling off the volume.

Personally I'm Tele Twang guy so I support Marksound's post of Curtis Novak's comment.
ChrisThompson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems I have with teles is pure vocabulary.

People talk about "twang" as the defining characteristic of tele sound, but I'm not even sure what that means in my context. Sure, I can go listen to a bunch of honky tonk, some Roy Buchanon, that's what twang means to me.

I've got a no name tele body I've been meaning to build up. Every time I try to figure out what to do with it the descriptions of tele pickups make me want to route it out for a pair of PAFs.

How the heck does "twang" fit into Prog Rock?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: