The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pignose Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIowa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Pignose Question Reply with quote

Got an old Pignose mini amp from very ill friend for safekeeping...he had it stored in his basement and there is significant rust and oxidation on protective metal corners and some of the other hardware...started with steel wool but worried about metal particles getting into speaker and electronics...metal polish does nothing...thought about CLR but these things are covered in real leather so don't want to trash that out. Corners riveted on, no removal possible....also metal handle and Pignose logo on front....any ideas on a method or substance that can clean this up without damage? This question might be better in refinishing section but don't want to screw up the electronics...thx. IA
Craigmar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try crumpling up some aluminum foil into a ball and rubbing with that, it can remove surface rust. I've also heard naval (not navel!) jelly can remove rust but that might get messy. Not sure where to get it.
pattycakes77

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try some 3M Scotch brite pads, they act similar to steel wool but are synthetic so there is no steel to mess up electronics or get stuck on the speaker magnet.

Or you could try those Mr. Clean scrubbers, but the description says they are used with water so it may be messy and not be the best for electronics and leather.

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser-wheel-tire.do

You could get a little polishing wheel on a Dremel and take some heavy cut buffing compound and go at it to clean some of the oxidation and maybe some of the rust off, then work through some lighter polishes to get it back up to a nice luster again, maybe put some metal polish over it to hopefully seal it from the elements and keep it from rusting more.

Other than that, is it possible to drill the rivets out, clean everything up, and re-rivet again?

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery!
breenemeister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up some of these, but haven't tried them yet. However, someone in another post said they worked great. Basically, they are an alternative to steel wool.

Mirlon Pads

The guy at Woodcraft told me they are pretty aggressive. Maybe you could buy the variety pack and start with the finest.
Travst

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some of the Mirlon pads. They work well, but do get dusty as they work. I'd use them on metal, but never on wood. There's too much chance of dust in the finish.
headstack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pignose I owned, I bought in 1980 and the "leather" turned out to be some sort of vinyl stuff pulled around the plywood and stapled inside the box.
Look carefully at the edges of the material to make sure it is leather.
Next, those corners are decent heavy hardware, and I'll bet you could find those if you looked around a bit.
Unless there is some sort of vintage $$$ value $$$ I don't know about with those and you want to restore it for him, you could grind off the heads off the rivets, knock them out with a drift pin and rivet new corner guards onto the case.
My favorite part of that amp, besides the nasty classic distortion, is the little pig nose on off/volume knob.
That thing is really cool Cool
Best wishes for your friends speedy recovery!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: