The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Willie Nelson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyB64

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Willie Nelson Reply with quote

Now he may not be to everyone's taste, but he's been playing live today at Glastonbury ( a small festival here in the UK).

Playing an acoustic guitar with an open peg head and (I think) nylon strings- well beaten up with a pretty big chunk out of the sound board near the bridge. I'm guessing a piezzo pickup under the bridge.

He gets an awesome sound out of it. Anyone know what this old beat up instrument is, just out of interest??

And, first time I've seen him play live - he was excellent.

Cheers,

AndrewB Smile
Dan Nork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a "Martin N-20"
http://stillisstillmoving.com/willienelson/willie-nelson-talks-about-his-guitar-trigger/

from here: http://www.willienelsongeneralstore.com/trigger.html

Willie Nelson bought his first Martin guitar sight unseen in 1969. He's remarked about how he remembers the circumstances of that first purchase. The Baldwin company gave him a Baldwin amp and classical electric guitar with a special three-cord stereo pickup. He busted that guitar pretty badly so he sent it to Shot Jackson in Nashville to get it fixed.

Shot called Willie back and said, 'I can't fix it. It's broke too bad.' So Willie asked what else he had around? Shot said he had a Martin up on the shelf for $750. Willie asked him if he could put that same Baldwin pickup in the Martin. Shot said he could and that's how Willie got it, unseen and right off the shelf.

When Willie got it he said he knew he had gotten something special. He just enjoyed sitting around in a room and playing it, writing on it, and most importantly, he just liked the sound of it. Photographs taken throughout Willie's career show the gradual evolution of Trigger from its original pristine condition to its current, shall we say, well worn look! Trigger has been played so much over the years that a sizable hole that's worn right through the top and he won't have it repaired. Besides, wouldn't that be like fixing the crack in the Liberty Bell....
ThinLazy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's his old Martin nylon string, nicknamed "Trigger". I saw Willie two years ago and I was thoroughly entertained. His two boys are in his band, as well as an opening act, and they were very talented as well. He wasn't my cup of tea, but he's an icon and I took my father-in-law to see him for his b-day. I'm glad I went and I would definitely see him again!

-Dave
AndyB64

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys - I just knew someone hereabouts would know the story.

What a wealth of information we have!

He's not normally my cup of tea, but, well worth watching and listening to.

AndrewB Smile
solemn13

Location: On a lost bound train runnin on Rogaine out of control

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie and asleep at the wheel were on Austin City Limits I have it dvr'ed but haven't found time to watch it yet. They rebroadcast it fairly often if you want to catch it.
~frank

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like most about Willie when he gets crankin' is all the Django Reinhardt licks he lays down. Razz

Willie & the Wheel is an awesome combination. Ray Benson is pretty hard to beat. Cool
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Nork wrote:
It's a "Martin N-20"
http://stillisstillmoving.com/willienelson/willie-nelson-talks-about-his-guitar-trigger/

Willie Nelson bought his first Martin guitar sight unseen in 1969. He's remarked about how he remembers the circumstances of that first purchase. The Baldwin company gave him a Baldwin amp and classical electric guitar with a special three-cord stereo pickup. He busted that guitar pretty badly so he sent it to Shot Jackson in Nashville to get it fixed.

Shot called Willie back and said, 'I can't fix it. It's broke too bad.' So Willie asked what else he had around? Shot said he had a Martin up on the shelf for $750. Willie asked him if he could put that same Baldwin pickup in the Martin. Shot said he could and that's how Willie got it, unseen and right off the shelf.

When Willie got it he said he knew he had gotten something special. He just enjoyed sitting around in a room and playing it, writing on it, and most importantly, he just liked the sound of it. Photographs taken throughout Willie's career show the gradual evolution of Trigger from its original pristine condition to its current, shall we say, well worn look! Trigger has been played so much over the years that a sizable hole that's worn right through the top and he won't have it repaired. Besides, wouldn't that be like fixing the crack in the Liberty Bell....

This is Trigger:

BTW, if you're ever in Nashville, go to Robert's Western World on Broadway. It used to be the home of Sho-Bud, where Shot Jackson and Buddy Emmons made some magic, and where Trigger came from.

Another note: the pickup on Trigger is the legendary Baldwin Prismatone. It was the inspiration for Ovation's entry into the piezo world, and what gave Jerry Reed his signature tone.

McCullough Guitars is reproducing Reed's Baldwin gut string guitar, dubbed The Clawmaster. Awesome.

That's way more than you wanted to know, but if anyone ever asks ... Laughing

This is Reed's guitar, from Paul Yandell's website.

AndyB64

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
Dan Nork wrote:
It's a "Martin N-20"

This is Trigger:

BTW, if you're ever in Nashville, go to Robert's Western World on Broadway. It used to be the home of Sho-Bud, where Shot Jackson and Buddy Emmons made some magic, and where Trigger came from.

Another note: the pickup on Trigger is the legendary Baldwin Prismatone. It was the inspiration for Ovation's entry into the piezo world, and what gave Jerry Reed his signature tone.

McCullough Guitars is reproducing Reed's Baldwin gut string guitar, dubbed The Clawmaster. Awesome.

That's way more than you wanted to know, but if anyone ever asks ... Laughing

This is Reed's guitar, from Paul Yandell's website.

Mark,

That's the one he was playing today.

Brilliant. If I could have copied a pic from the television I'd have done so.

AndrewB Smile
RMR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will be seeing willie on the 4th (and many others). Very excited.

also, I always heard the hole in the top was from where he used to hide his stash in there
Hexa-dB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Willie Nelson Reply with quote

AndyB64 wrote:
Now he may not be to everyone's taste, but he's been playing live today at Glastonbury ( a small festival here in the UK).

Since when was 180,000 people small? Shocked

I got back from Glastonbury last night but I didn't get to see him there. The site is huge and it's impossible to see all of the acts that you want to (I got to see some of Seasick Steve, Black Keys, Muse, Slash and Aynsley Lister though so I'm happy).
Tenafly Viper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie Nelson and Jerry Reed are both mega awesome
RayRay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Son opens for Willie from time to time at his place at Carl's Corner Texas..and he tells me Willie's pretty protective of that O'l guitar... Wink
That can be a pretty relaxed show environment if you ever get the chance to go there do it...you'll like it!..(I hope I get to someday Rolling Eyes Wink )

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." --Mark Twain

"I love God, my family, America, and the Constitution.
Guess you know what that makes me........"
shattered

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayRay wrote:
My Son opens for Willie from time to time at his place at Carl's Corner Texas..and he tells me Willie's pretty protective of that O'l guitar... Wink

It's probably the only thing the IRS didn't get their hands on! Very Happy

He was in Parade magazine over the weekend:
http://www.parade.com/celebrity/2010/06/willie-nelson.html
RayRay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shattered wrote:
RayRay wrote:

It's probably the only thing the IRS didn't get their hands on! Very Happy

He was in Parade magazine over the weekend:
http://www.parade.com/celebrity/2010/06/willie-nelson.html

They tried! I'm told His friends hid it for him...and kept it moving..until things settled down. He wouldn't have given it up...he'd have gone to jail first! Wink

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." --Mark Twain

"I love God, my family, America, and the Constitution.
Guess you know what that makes me........"
steavis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Willie...I don't really like what most country is today, but have always loved Willie nelson, Emmylou Harris and other "old guard" artist (back when everyone wasn't necessarily pretty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: